NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Atik 420L and 450L cameras

FLO

Atik have released details of two new 400 series cameras, the 2mp Atik 420L and the 5mp Atik 450L.

They are a development of Atik's 3-Series with the same low noise electronics but new narrow bodies, the narrowest in their class, making them particularly well suited for use with Hyperstar systems where the camera is mounted in front of the telescope.

Both cameras feature setpoint cooling with a capacity of -30C below ambient to make taking matching dark frames a snap.

First deliveries are due sometime in November.

atik-450l-sgl.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's time to get some small APOs, lenses and lens holders in the shops :) I know many people that use that... I don't know of anyone using Hyperstar in Poland. Small pixels and small focal length of small refractors is rather more natural setup for the new cams.

I'll digg out QE of ICX655 later.

I want an Atik 450L so bad....

This would be a perfect match for my Orion ED80T CF. One thing that concerned me about the 314L that I was earmarking for an upgrade is the relatively low pixel density.

This new camera looks >awesome<

All the best,

Mike

Indeed...any thoughts on the 450L vs the 4000mono, read noise, QE etc all look much better...pixel size not a biggie (will force me to hyperstar the C11 too)

Thinking also with the TMB with a 0.8X FR on it, would be a nice match

Indeed...any thoughts on the 450L vs the 4000mono, read noise, QE etc all look much better...pixel size not a biggie (will force me to hyperstar the C11 too)

Remember tht your dynamic range is important too, which is based on your read noise and well depth. The 450 has a well depth of 7950 from the lumenera website, that equates to a dynamic range of about 64db or 1590 brightness levels. The Atik 4000 has a well depth of 40,000, which equates to a dynamic range of about 71db or 3600 brightness levels. Hence the 4000 should give more detailed images, because it can display more variation in an image it takes.

Of course these all do not take into account light pollution, if that plague gobbles up 2000 units of your well depth before you've even started then the 450 dynamic range reduces to about 1200 brightness levels (62db) , whereas the 4000 reduces to about 3454 brightness levels (70.5db). Hence light pollution is going to have a bigger effect on the 450 compared to the 4000 - hence more limiting your exposure length.

Ian

Archived