Collection of WL shots from Saturday

Montana

I hope I am not being boring but I tried a little harder (after some comments here) and got rid of some of the fuzzy patches. I have also been processing another 2 as well. It's been slow doing processing in the evening and constructing the images at work on CS5, then finding a fuzzy patch and going back again. So it has taken days but hopefully I will get my own version of CS5 soon if I can convince Adobe to allow me to get the Teachers/student version for a much more reasonable price.

I still need further work on the last picture (still a fuzzy patch) but I coloured them as well for a more cheerful look. The B&W versions can be viewed on my Flickr site for those who prefer. Sorry for a repeat of the first.

6254755886_fcb2a6996d_z.jpg

AR11314 by Alexandra's Astronomy, on Flickr

6258111350_63fa2ab601_z.jpg

2011-10-15 10-56-31 AR11319 by Alexandra's Astronomy, on Flickr

6261854872_ce4dba0856_z.jpg

2011-10-15 11-10-29 AR11316 by Alexandra's Astronomy, on Flickr

Alexandra

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone :icon_salut: this makes me very happy.

I've just noticed the last picture isn't working, I'll try to fix it, it's probably because I had swapped the image to one without the fuzzy patch.

I have used a technique Mark T taught me (he teaches me everything in fact). I have used Registax 6 to create around 6 different images, each one has clear, well stacked areas and other parts not. I have then gradually built up the image in Photoshop CS5 using layer mask and used the brush tool so that only the clear part of each image is showing. You could probably keep going forever but eventually you get a fairly evenly processed image all over the field of view.

It's just coloured using the variations tool in Photoshop Elements which I prefer, not quite understanding the colouring in CS5 yet.

Many thanks

Alexandra

Alexandra, more magnificent images. I can now clearly see the advantage that your aperuture has over my miniscule 80mm f/6 zeiss. You have two tiimes the resolution on the granulation. That is the HOLY GRAIL of white light imaging. The fuzzy spots of course are areas of seeing smear that occurs all over the sun on a clear day. Do you take say six sets of AVI's then pick through the six final stacks in photo shop for the clear areas, or are you processing ONE stack six times? What ever your doing its working. :) Please do tell!

These are spectacular, I especially like the sunspot closeup, the granulation is really interesting.

The more I see these images the more I want a Ha solar scope.

Helps make up for the lack of viewing after sun goes down... :)

Thanks Chris, Mark and Sheri.

Chris / Sheri I pick what I think is the best avi (most clear number of frames). I then have been processing the same file 6 times or more, in each one concentrating the alignment point in a separate area. You cannot use different Avi files as each granule changes over a period of 5 minutes so piecing different ones would be difficult. The layer/mask technique was described and taught to me by Mark Townley.

Open one picture (the best) in Photoshop, then open another (which has different areas of good focus in it. Copy and paste it into the first picture. Then go to Layer / Layer Mask / Hide all. Your second picture will then disappear. Go to the brush tool and have a fair sized brush and using your second picture as a guide gently brush over the areas that are blurred in your original but sharp in your second image. The brush magically reveals these clear bits. Then keep layering on different pictures until finally you have a mostly clear image. A top tip from MarkT. However this function only seems to be available in the full Photoshop version and not Elements.

Alexandra

Archived