NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

telrad's in the u.k

why the hell are they so expensive, one online site i shall not name charge £50.00 , thats as basic, no dew shield or riser block.

and whats the reasoning that they are like rocking horse ****?

is that to keep the prices high over here ?

nearly always out of stock, and in the usa average around £ 24.00 !

Point me to the manufacturer and we'll put them into stock, at a sensible price :)

We already have the Rigel Quikfinder.

HTH

These are great BTW. I have two and I love them. No need for riser blocks and they are nice and light. The button cell batteries last for years as well and most Supermarkets now stock them.

I for one keep recommending them because they are great to use and along with everybody else, so that might be one reason I guess they keep disappearing. The supplu of astronomy kit does seem to rise and fall through the year and as we are already at the start of the 'observing season' then supply and demand will start to rise. If the BBC's Stargazing Live proves as popular in January next year as it did the last time it was on I would make sure you get all extras ordered well before then.

James

i got mine on the cheap not working, it came with a Meade illuminated EP that never worked either. I walked to the shop and got the Telrad working instantly with a new battery (ear to ear grin) and ordered a battery from the bay 2 for the price of one, and hey presto with a little clean of a contact and a new roller switch from down the road i got me a Meade EP working aswell...

just lucky that day i guess. good luck with the hunt. i'm yet to use the Telrad or the EP but you never know some day soon i guess.

Why should they be manufactured in huge quantities?

The astronomy market isn't exactly large, visit a local astro club, count the members and then work out how many people live in the catchment area.

Probably less then 0.01% do astronomy.

Think SGL hit 10,000 mmber not to long back, consider that the UK population is 60,000,000 and you start to get an idea, then consider that probably half of those 10,000 no longr do any.

Throw in that many will be happy with a finder scope, usually supplied, and others will like an RDF and the market is diminishingly small.

If the BBC's Stargazing Live proves as popular in January next year as it did the last time it was on I would make sure you get all extras ordered well before then.

James

Hmmm ... That's a good point. Time to dust off the old credit card now then, in plenty of time! :).

Actually my credit card ain't all that dusty! ... Ahem ...:)

fair point ronin, not exactly number one pastime granted.

but there often seem s a shortage, so if i was mr. telrad inc. i would up production a little . supply and demand and all that.

Why should they be manufactured in huge quantities?

The astronomy market isn't exactly large, visit a local astro club, count the members and then work out how many people live in the catchment area.

Probably less then 0.01% do astronomy.

Think SGL hit 10,000 mmber not to long back, consider that the UK population is 60,000,000 and you start to get an idea, then consider that probably half of those 10,000 no longr do any.

Throw in that many will be happy with a finder scope, usually supplied, and others will like an RDF and the market is diminishingly small.

The UK astro magazines reckon they have a circulation in the mid 30,000's. Maybe half the buyers are active observers and maybe half the observers buy one of the mags - that's about 1 in 2,000 of the population.

Now add in the populations of France: another 60 million and Germany: 80 million - you have somewhere around 100,000 amateur astronomers in europe. Undoubtedly more when all the other countries on SGL are counted in. As a datum, the circulation of S&T is 77,000 so the european market is a comparable size to the american market - maybe even bigger. You'd hope that the range of products available would be comparable, too ...

Archived