NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

well i only gone and done it

bcfcciderhead

I have now crossed to the dark side, gone and bought myself a Cannon 1000d:D

£180 for the body only i thought was a good price but what else should i get?.....was thinking a remote shutter control thingy, it needs a memory card so which ones would you recomend?

Also i'm i right in thinking my Skywatcher 200P has direct camera fitting? or do i need a T-adapter?

Watch this space for a million more questions, or the "For Sale" section for a Cannon 1000d camera if i can't work the darn thing by christmas:evil6:

If you buy a "remote thingy" go to eBay.You can get them for £12 rather than £65 that canon want.

Or may be instead of the "remote thingy" why not use a netbook/laptop with APT or BackyardEOS. Both of which are much better at managing the subs and help you focus the camera.

Just a thought.

With my 1000D, I use a laptop and set the timer with the cannon software.

Tonight, I mounted the camera on my scope, so I could utilise the single axis motor on the tripod.

A 1Gb memory card takes about 95 RAW images, these are the best to take with the camera.

Sometimes I forget about the laptop and set the 10sec delay on the camera, so that a remote control is not required.

Also noteworthy, the battery is quite good and normally lasts the whole session, which is usually about 2 hours for me.

ooooo welcome dave!

heres what i got (obv i got the 300d version but identical one) TIMER REMOTE CONTROL INTERVALOMETER FOR CANON DSLR EOS 60D 550D 500D 1000D 1100D | eBay

when using timer make sure u got the camera on bulb mode in manual setting (m on top dial)

im not sure if the 1000d does CF or SD but if its SD i recamend play.com or amazon, my uncle is buying lots of 16 n 8gig ones cheap off there

to my knowlage the direct fitting just means a T-thread, so yes u should need a tadapter (i might be wrong though but thats what my 102st had described)

as the others av said if ur ok with taking ur laptop then APT is a good software to use. i wish i could but its incompatable with it:(

im more of a widefield AP person my self, camera lens ect:P

Thanks for the advice guys.

I always have my laptop with me so will give that ago, but will also get a "remote thingy" at that price and everything else you have said.

Oh well time to up the over draft

Sent from my galaxy s...must be stuck in work....dam you i.t filters!

Hi Dave, you just need a T-ring, not the nosepiece as well. The T-ring simply screws into the eyepiece adapter once you have unscrewed the barrel. Another vote fr APT here, as well ;).

Yes and you have to do it this way or you probably won't get enough back-focus on your 'scope.

I think the focuser fitting is exactly the same as my C6N which means you can leave the t-adapter attached to the focuser permanently (if you want!) and simply unscrew the EP barrel when you want to do AP. Means that you can do all of your alignment stuff / visual and then quickly and easily swap the camera in when you want to.

Also, if the memory card is SD then try Tesco or Sainsbury; they both have 8GB cards at reasonable money (under a tenner IIRC).

Up the Gas! :D

You'll have great fun!

They take SD-HC cards, so no worries about which sort. A remote shutter release is a must even for regular photography, saves all that delayed timer nonsense...

If you haven't got EOS utilities, send me an SD card and I'll copy the 1000D set into it for you, otherwise it'll cost you 20 quid to buy the discs...

4 GB SD cards from 7 day shop (.com) are nice and cheap but reliable.

Oh, one more point, the 1000D is NOT orange juice proof, ask me how I found out!

Be careful of freezing temperatures though, they may reduce battery time. Warm a fresh battery in your pocket just prior to attaching the camera. As standard I would recommend having at least one good spare battery to hand, I always buy genuine branded ones (in this case, Canon).

It's probably not critical to spend insane amounts of money on a super fast memory card, as you probably won't be doing continuous bursts or rapid fire shooting. I would just say to read the feedback and customer reviews as some of the cheaper cards on ebay and amazon marketplace are junk.

Pretty sure I got my EOS utility bundled when I bought my 1000D (new), this is part of the attraction of the 1000D - flagship software is included with the 'basic' model; that's the one for remote controlling the camera entirely from the computer isn't it? Very nice, but requires a computer to be within a few feet of the camera.

I also bought one of those remote timer wotsits from eBay, mine was branded 'Shoot' but looks and works much the same.

Archived