Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade LX90 - too complex for a beginner?

I have been stargazing with high power binos for a year now and feel ready for a decent scope - budget is c£500. Looking at the meade LX90 or is it too complex. Will probably initially focus on planet observations, but want something that I can use for DSO if I want. Other options are a large dob or a skymax 127...

The Meade handset is fairly simple, so a LX90 shouldn't be an issue - depending on what model you get you may need some setup (level, OTA pointing north if I remember correctly), later models added self-levelling and maybe GPS too. With my old LX200GPS it was a case of dumping the 'scope outside, turning it on, letting it self-calibrate and then just a case of a couple of alignment stars.

I'd be cautious about one at £500 though, that seems surprisingly cheap to me - i'd expect nearer the £800-1000 mark.

A Dob is great value for money, but unless you go for the new (and less-cheap) GOTO models you need to find things yourself. Not usually a problem with the bright planets, but a learning curve for fainter objects.

I would agree, i have seen some going for £500 (8inch) as the mount has very little sell on value and so most if in the optics,

the autostar is no more complex than the alternatives, the celestron is nice due to features like solar system align, but i wouldnt say either was more suitible than the other

Hi Dave

First of LX90 is easy to use,when I got mine I put it together in 15 minutes now only 5 minutes, there are two types of LX90, one as ACF and is about 1,799 ,the other does not have ACF and is about £1,499 New, I think £500.00 sounds to cheap unless

he never puchased it and does not no the price if all in working order it's a bargain

Doug

Essex

Dunno, Ben, the second hand fork SCTs don't fetch much. I think it's because they are not popular choices for DS imaging. A well respected member of SGL was selling a 12 inch for about a grand a couple of years ago.

Olly

Apologies, seemed rather cheap to me given what they cost new - an 8" at £500 would be a bargain IMO, I know SCTs are out of fashion these days but it's a capable setup

Apologies for the delay in replying (family - plus was out taking advantage of the amazing skies we have been having this weekend). As you mention, sometimes if things look too cheap - there may be something iffy!

I have been doing some research this weekend and have decided that if I going to go for it and spend, it is worth getting a much for my money rather than buying too small and replacing after 6 months - the short list looks like:

Meade LX90

Celestron Nexstar 8SE

Large Dob with goto

Anything else I should be considering?

I purshased the LX 90 ACF last year. It was my first scope and it is easy to set up and use and give wonderful views - It is also very portable. In the US they go for about $ 1800. - 2000. plus meade usually throws in a gift like last year a complete set of plossl eyepieces, filters and a barlow - this year a 2" diagonal. I know other that purhased it as well and love it. The go to is just fantastic. It takes a little time to learn how to align but once learned it is fun and gives you a terrific tour of the best of the eve. I keep it set up at home and on good nights just pick it up, take it out and ready to view. When you add excellent eyepieces the views are amazing.

I purchased an LX90 8" Classic from eBay about 3 years ago, as an upgrade from my first scope Celestron XLT 150 Newtonian. I've been very pleased with it as an observing scope and have also dabbled with webcam imaging. Alignment and goto operation is straightforward, though I did invest in a finderscope with a 90 degree angle for comfort.

I'd say the major drawback is that it is relatively heavy to move around when setting up - I don't have a permanent mount so set up the tripod in my garden whenever I want to use. This of course means I'm less likely to set up when limited time is available.

It is also not very suitable for any longer exposure imaging due to the Alt-Az mount. I did briefly experiment with a Wedge, however that turned out to be as heavy as the scope for setting up, and also having to balance the scope at a diagonal angle whilst securing it made it almost a 2 person job.

I guess what I am saying is that you need to think about how you will use the scope, advice that you will see in many other forum posts.

As for price, age of the scope will also be a factor. I paid around 750 for mine off eBay, for the original non-GPS/ACF version. I dare say they have come down in price somewhat since then, and that newer models would still be more expensive, but I haven't really kept track of the prices.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm not impressed with my LX90, ( purchased second hand.My first proper scope ) I cannot get the thing to focus clearly, even looking at the moon is not clear,and yes I have got the moon filter fitted.

In the instructions the only way to focus is with the small twidler at the rear near to were the lenses are attached , but I think that there must be a way to fast focus when you are looking closer ie the moon and farther away ie planets. all the planets and stars that I have looked at appear only as a fuzzy white dot.

I would welcome any advise, or is any one in the Banbury area who could help me .

Thanks in advance,

Derek

If you can find an LX 90 for 500 quid then I would take someone that knows what they are looking at with you, for that money it could well be a lemon, a big blue one but lemon nonetheless. They are simple to use and in my view the hand control system is way ahead of the SW one. The later models set themselves up and are even easier to work. Optic are good without being mindblowing. I consider them to be overpriced new as a good few site members do to.

Alan.

I'm not impressed with my LX90, ( purchased second hand.My first proper scope ) I cannot get the thing to focus clearly, even looking at the moon is not clear,and yes I have got the moon filter fitted.

In the instructions the only way to focus is with the small twidler at the rear near to were the lenses are attached , but I think that there must be a way to fast focus when you are looking closer ie the moon and farther away ie planets. all the planets and stars that I have looked at appear only as a fuzzy white dot.

I would welcome any advise, or is any one in the Banbury area who could help me .

Thanks in advance,

Derek

Hi Derek,

Welcome to the forum :smiley:

My suggestion would be to start a new thread on your issues with the LX 90. This is a rather old one and your questions might not get a lot of attention taggoed onto the end of it.

I would start your thread in the Getting Started: Equipment Help and Advice section. Here is a link:

http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/186-getting-started-equipment-help-and-advice/

There are lots of LX 90 owners on the forum and I'm sure you will get good advice :smiley:

Archived