NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scope storage box

bcfcciderhead

I was never very happy about having my scope stood up in the shed,

so set about making a strong safe box to keep it in.

Some 12mm ply did the trick and by taking the measurments i needed to B&Q they cut the ply for me (free service),

Its's just a simple wooden box with 2 "half moon" wooden cut outs inside to support the scope.

The scope is now safe and sound away from any knocks and bumps.

post-20982-133877677152_thumb.jpg

post-20982-133877677156_thumb.jpg

post-20982-133877677161_thumb.jpg

Nice job, :rolleyes: keeps it nice and safe.

I did something similar with my scope but i built a box around the foam the scope came packed in. Did the same as you, went to B&Q and had them cut the bits and then screwed/nailed it all together. Need to make one for my Evostar 120 when i get a chance.post-21244-133877677263_thumb.jpg

post-21244-133877677271_thumb.jpg

OOOooo very nice.

Did B&Q do the half moons as well ? I would drop some draft excluder foam on those to help protect the scope from possible scratches :rolleyes:

Yep got some sticky insulting foam stuck to them, it like you said stops scratches etc and also keeps the scope nice and snug.

I cut the half moons myself, stand the scope on a piece of ply, draw around the scope and then cut the ply in half, then cut out the semi circle......simples

I did make it about 2" bigger then i needed (height/width/length) just to make sure the measurments i took would be ok.

B&Q do 15 cuts for free, i did not want a handful of ply with no use!!

This did save a lot of time and the size of the sheet of ply would not have gone in the car.

Hi

I went a different route with mine, still from B&Q though.

But I just bought a JCB tool bag and used the supplied packaging from the scope.

SDC10605.jpg

SDC10611.jpg

Not shown is the top half of the polystyrene packaging that I sit on top before zipping it all up.

Neil

It's not too bad, you can strap the tripod on top with the long velcro straps and tie the legs further using the handles velcro as well.

The eyepiece holder / leg spreader fits in the zipped pocket at the side.

I then just have the mount, dew shield, powertank and eyepiece case to carry.

It all easily fits in my car (well it's a 7 seat Grand Scenic so I should hope so !:D)

Not bad for £30

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
Nice job, :icon_salut: keeps it nice and safe.

I did something similar with my scope but i built a box around the foam the scope came packed in. Did the same as you, went to B&Q and had them cut the bits and then screwed/nailed it all together. Need to make one for my Evostar 120 when i get a chance.[ATTACH]70566[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]70567[/ATTACH]

Fantastic idea mate. I will do likewise !! :D

Well done.

Steve

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking of something similar for my Skywatcher 200, but would like it to be a bit more portable. It will be safe at home, but its more the travel in the car i'm worried about.

I know the Skywatcher Newtonians arent the most travel friendly scopes out there, but there most be some ideas out there to make it a bit portable. ( mind you, my car is small, so the box above is great, but to big for the car i think.)

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks,

This is one of my concerns for my scope (not arrived yet). The store man at work has done a joinery course and we have some spare 30mm ply so he said he would knock me up a case, I'm just waiting on arrival to give him the measurements! I think it could be a bit on the heavy side but hopefully as strong as a house! I'll stick some picks on when he does it!

I've gone for a 127mak

Hi Guys,

I've been thinking about one of these for my scope : http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/cases/1740.html

It's one of those indestructible cases used by the military as well.

Might be a bit price ( looking at 300 euro inc shipping from the US, but still cheaper then via the UK) but I can use it for my dive gear as well if I take the foam out, so its dual function for me.

I've already got a small Peli case which I use for my eyepieces, and I can fit 4 EP's in there, and a Barlow.

Will post a pic of that one once i got home and get the camera hooked up again.

I made something similar for my Mount with 12mm ply. Only advice I'd give is don't make it too heavy.

If I was doing it again I'd try using 6mm ply with 15mm square batten strenthening at the corners.

Archived