NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

6mm struggles

iamjulian

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my daughters cheapo 6mm works well in my 12" reflector .i used it to show some freinds on the street jupiter just the other night ,its a meade one that came as part of a kit of eps ,that came with the 90mm f 800mm i use it all the time (much to the annoyance of my daughter) but i only use it on a good night

I use a 6mm with my 250px (200x) regularly with fabulous views alround. It is a Televue Radian though :D Wonderful eyepiece with large glass to peer through.

Matt

it could be any make but if seeing is rubbish does not matter what the ep surely?

• 2 weeks later...
I never cease to be amazed at how low people's magnifications are. At x181 (13mm) a lot of detail on Jupiter is too small to see. On 50% of nights x261 (9mm) is of most use - on the other 50% I usually pack up, I don't see any point in looking at a fuzzy blob. On better nights x294 (8mm) is still really crisp. I don't go above that on Jupiter due to lack of contrast in fine detail.

On the very few excellent nights (rarities), x336 (7mm) on Saturn and x392(6mm) on the moon/Mars are my top limits. Even the 6mm is still bright though on planets.

For deep sky I keep to x181 (13mm) max on globulars and x107 (22mm) max on galaxies.

We also have to bear in mind theoretical limitations of our budget-limited scopes too, in our pollution-limited locations - I wouldnt dream of going much ABOVE 100x in my location with my kit...sometimes I can see jupiter shimmying in and out of focus at that power :)

I did mean to look and see if your kit is in your sig, but this pesky quick reply mode doesnt show sigs :)

I never cease to be amazed at how low people's magnifications are. At x181 (13mm) a lot of detail on Jupiter is too small to see. On 50% of nights x261 (9mm) is of most use - on the other 50% I usually pack up, I don't see any point in looking at a fuzzy blob. On better nights x294 (8mm) is still really crisp. I don't go above that on Jupiter due to lack of contrast in fine detail.

On the very few excellent nights (rarities), x336 (7mm) on Saturn and x392(6mm) on the moon/Mars are my top limits. Even the 6mm is still bright though on planets.

For deep sky I keep to x181 (13mm) max on globulars and x107 (22mm) max on galaxies.

I agree, I use my 10 (203x) and 8mm (254x) EPs quite frequently in my C8. If I cannot hit 203x I do not bother with planets too much. Of course, the SCTs sit firmly on a tracking mount, with a dob (unless it is a tracking dob) 200x and beyond require frequent nudges which prevent you from carefully waiting for those moments of exquisite seeing. This may be the issue, but maybe the owners of big Newtonians on EQ mounts have something to say on this.

Of course, the SCTs sit firmly on a tracking mount, with a dob (unless it is a tracking dob) 200x and beyond require frequent nudges which prevent you from carefully waiting for those moments of exquisite seeing. This may be the issue, but maybe the owners of big Newtonians on EQ mounts have something to say on this.

If you frequent the BAA Lunar Section, one of the most published observers uses a 305mm f5 at x400.

I never cease to be amazed at how low people's magnifications are.

I think that's relative to scope size as 181x for me is very low for Globulars I normally use around 250-300x

Galaxies again I often use 150-200x although the very large ones require lower power to fit to the field.

Regards Steve

Archived