Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC7380

Fay

I'm thinking this a is a bit too big!

11x600, QSI 583ws, 0.85fr, 7nm ha, SW120 Equinox Pro.

I have a problem with imaging at the zenith, at the moment. Lost 30 mins of this as stars suddenly go egg shaped. Would have done OIII as well, so problem to sort out

Thanks,

Fay

6224097582_89e774b55f_o.jpg

Looks super fay :rolleyes:

I had the same problem with my MN190 at the zenith, set the balance to perfect instead of weighted on the east ( when imaging first in the east ) and it cleared up.

There is no harm in doing what Rob suggests and re calibrate the guiding towards the Zenith...

OK, Fay, don't thow your bad zenith subs away. You can use them for noise reduction on the faint parts of the image, though their serious resolution is lost.

Stack your bad subs on thier own.

Rotate them in Ps till the egg-ness is either vertical or horizontal.

Make a copy layer.

Select Blend Mode Darken in layers.

In filters got to Other and Offset.

Choose an offset based on whether your distortion is horizontal or vertical.

Try an offset value like 1 pixel or 2.

The stars will get rounder.

If they get squashed so that now they are egg shaped the other way, that's great because...

Now you go to Edit-Fade-Fade Offset and fade the offset till they are round.

Flatten image and save.

Now you can add this to your stack of good subs but, when you do so, erase anything bright because the dodgy subs don't have good resolution. But for faint nebulous background they are just fine and that's where you want to reduce the noise.

Tracking;I think you should try a wieght to one side. I like my theory though I haven't tested it yet!! See what Chris thinks, he's smarter than I am!

Olly

Archived