Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Almach vs Albireo .....you decide

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say both are equal and also represent a great introduction to astronomy and astrophysics for curious people who happen by when you set-up in a public-park to do some outreach-work. Both are strikingly beautiful. And you can explain to folks that Albireo is called a 'visual-double star' because they only appear to be close together and, hence, related. But Almach is a true double-star system - that is actually a triple-star system. That each star is locked in a gravitational-dance with the others:

post-38438-0-48179200-1412466578.png

Maybe you'll have locked the onlookers into a gravitational-dance with astronomy.

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave

Albireo is called a 'visual-double star' because they only appear to be close together and, hence, related. But Almach is a true double-star system - that is actually a triple-star system. That each star is locked in a gravitational-dance with the others:

Fascinating stuff Dave. Knowing that Almach is a "real" double/treble, takes it from a "that's pretty" to a "wow, amazing" viewing experience.

Does anyone know where I can find which out of the thousands Doubles are proper interacting star systems rather than the, to my mind, less interesting line of sight doubles?

Paul

Fascinating stuff Dave. Knowing that Almach is a "real" double/treble, takes it from a "that's pretty" to a "wow, amazing" viewing experience.

Does anyone know where I can find which out of the thousands Doubles are proper interacting star systems rather than the, to my mind, less interesting line of sight doubles?

Paul

Paul, my understanding is that binary stars are more common than single stars, so most doubles are proper systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking back and forward between the two doubles this evening with my 5" Mak, to me the Albireo pair seems the lovelier in terms of colour contrast.

The orange stars of the two pairs seem fairly similar (to me) but the blue component of Albireo is much more vivid and slightly "bluer" than that of Almach. A personal thing, clearly.

Chris

Archived