Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eye pieces

steve1971

Hi Steve,

Difficult to say as you have not told us what you have.Assuming these came with the scope then any foray into the mid range bracket will bring significant improvement. So many around but at a median price of c£38 try the BST range, have an 8mm and it is a really good ep.

I would leave some pennies for a good barlow which effectively doubles your ep range.

Resist the more expensive ones as they will cost more than your 'scope!. There is also some good advice in the eyepiece sticky's.

Good Luck

Resist the more expensive ones as they will cost more than your 'scope!.

If the budget is there, I don't see any problem with this. I use Meade 16 and 24mm SWAs as well as a Tele Vue Powermate in my 130P. It's a scope that really benefits from well-corrected eyepieces.

Hi Great_Bear,

I agree, nearly all scopes benefit from better ep's, and I use my uw2" eps from my 10"sct in my smallest scope the st120, but would I buy one if I just had the st120, doubtful.

The tone of the post came over as a reasonable upgrade from the usual supplied ones. Your Meades are grand and as a package can be had for £350 making them a reasonable £100 ea. But if my main scope was a 130p i would look at those and go hey that buys me more apperture :-)

Cheers

I use my uw2" eps from my 10"sct in my smallest scope the st120, but would I buy one if I just had the st120, doubtful.

Yes - a fair point: Would I have the Meades and Powermate if I only had the 130P? - and not already had another two, fine, deserving telescopes? :happy1: - no, I guess I wouldn't at the time - but these days well, I'm not so sure...

(I remember Jon Issacs commenting on Cloudy Nights (on more than one occasion) saying that for most people, the money they spend on eyepieces would be best spent on a better scope! :))

However, it's easy to assume that limited aperture is caused by limited funds, and this isn't necesarilly true. There's mobility to consider. I've got a Mak 180, an excellent 1/12th wave 150/F8 Newt, and the trusty little 130P. Now, with the benefit of more experience, if I were allowed only one scope (ha! silly concept! :D), which would I choose?

- it would definitely be the Sky-Watcher 130P Supertrak - and I would lavish the finest eyepieces upon it! :)

Steve, what's the budget?

As you can tell without that it is partially guesswork and assumptions.

Need to have an idea if you mean something like the BST Explorer budget or the Nagler budget.

May also help to know approximately what focal lengths you are thinking of. TV plossl's for example stop at 8mm so if you were thinking of a 5mm or 6mm then they are irrelevant.

Archived