SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Image of Orion Nebula

Rustysplit

Hi all,

Had my first sight of Orion on since getting into astronomy, and I was not disappointed!!.

This is a single exposure of around 80secs taken @iso 800 using an unmodded nikon d5000 on a standard eq5 with just ra drive. No guiding, and it shows when viewed large!!

m421oct11.jpg

I know the framing is not the best, but something to look at for next time.

That's pretty darn good!!

When I first tried shooting M42 (with a 1m focal langth scope, unguided like you) I stuck to 40 second subs at ISO 800, then threw in about 10 X 10 second subs too to get the trapesium stars without burning them out.

With about 25 minutes of total data that worked pretty well.

Try pushing your exposures only as far as you can without getting any star trailing, then shoot a load of subs at that length and stack them in DSS. You should get at least as good a level of detail, probably much more.

Awesome first stab though!

Ben

Cheers guys!

At heart I am a lazy git and get a bit bored by the processing side, so I have set myself a goal of trying to eek as much as I can out of single exposures!! How long I resist the lure of the "dark arts" remains to be seen. Mount upgrade is on the way too, that should improve thing still further.

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

Had my first sight of Orion on since getting into astronomy, and I was not disappointed!!.

This is a single exposure of around 80secs taken @iso 800 using an unmodded nikon d5000 on a standard eq5 with just ra drive. No guiding, and it shows when viewed large!!

m421oct11.jpg

I know the framing is not the best, but something to look at for next time.

really like this - have same set up - was it difficult to get focus with the camera or was it just hook up camera and away you go?

Sure is a stunner that orion. Nothing like seeing this incredible wonder come out on your camera is there?. I was speechless when I captured it in march, it being my first deep sky object that showed anything and yours looks better than mine so you must be chuffed. I blame it for ravaging my wallet however but will forgive it if it lets me have a proper go before christmas.

Well done ;)

Sure is a stunner that orion. Nothing like seeing this incredible wonder come out on your camera is there?. I was speechless when I captured it in march, it being my first deep sky object that showed anything and yours looks better than mine so you must be chuffed. I blame it for ravaging my wallet however but will forgive it if it lets me have a proper go before christmas.

Well done ;)

Ditto :-)

I remember the moment (back in March), after a month and a half of talking about astrophotography and buying equipment when I finally pointed my scope at M42, and took a 30 second sub... when that image of this incredible colourful nebula appeared on the DSLR screen... I literally almost fell over :-)

It is an incredible thing and I also blame it for the four figure sum I have subsequently spent on the gadgets and upgrades that will make 'the next photo even better' :-)

Ben

Ditto :-)

It is an incredible thing and I also blame it for the four figure sum I have subsequently spent on the gadgets and upgrades that will make 'the next photo even better' :-)

Ben

Oh Dear. Ive spent far to much already this year! Perhaps I best avoid this area of the sky!! ;)

Great Pic btw!

Nice one ;) I had a crack at it last night took 60 mains shots at 50 seconds and a few at 60, 30 darks subs and light and stacked them for this result. Longer exposures and same amount of darks might be better as there was a fair bit of noise to deal with. I'm thinking a filter on the cannon would bring out more detail as well. I will have to get myself set up with my auto guider soon the need for longer exposures and good tracking is getting ever present. Strange how stacking this one with 60 doesn't really bring out that much more detail then a single shot does.

Love the Orion Nebula such a wonder in the night sky.

Orion%252520N.JPG

Thanks for the feedback guys.

sublime_mick, Focus was not too bad. I use a starsharp bahtinov mask to set focus. Can do it by taking loads of test shots, but the mask makes it much easier.

I fear you may be right Olly!! I have just got myself an NEQ6pro...

Archived