Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mains adaptor

Chubster

You can get mains sockets for your garden. Have a look in B&Q or something. You can even get them disguised as rocks and things. If you have mains you can then buy a low voltage adapter like you would use for electronic games etc. You just need to make sure it can supply enough power but maplin have some high power ones.

I use a Masterplug power control AC/DC mains adaptor on my HEQ-5.

It has adjustable power output,3V to 12V and comes with six colour

connectors,the one for the HEQ-5 being the white one. Works a treat

on my mount and cost less than £8 at Argos. If you can't locate one

try Masterplug's help line 0800 1695560.

I heard that HEQ stands for HERNIAS EVERSO QUICK!

Cheers all

CC if you could find the link that would be great just so I know which one your talking about. I have a powertank thingy from halfords with two cigar lighter plugs on it but dont want to keep taking that out. But if you have found something that will power the scope from mains and has the cigar lighters excellent :D

Getting a mains socket or two installed right next to the scope. So as long as the adaptor is 12v is that all I need to worry about? Does it have to be a certain ampage.....sorry know nothing about electricity :p Also are the connectors on this things universal...will it fit the HQ?

Cloudwatcher: That sounds like what I need. Will have a look. PS Is that trick photography going on in your avatar...or are you about 3ft tall :D:lol:

Cheers

Chubs

Chubs

I bought one of these from Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=42702&doy=21m4

Great spec little power supply *BUT*... it has an internal fan which is noisy.

Doesn't matter to me as I'm fitting the power supply circuit board into a custom built supply

box in my astro shed.

The box will have extra sockets fitted and a large slower (quiet) fan.

Chubs, I feel I must provide a lttle warning about using mains supply albeit stepped down and rectified and regulated to the voltage you require.

If the mains supply at any point in it's journey to your scope is open to the elements, you must use a residual current cutoff device in the interest of personal safety, and that of your family. I don't want to sound alarmist, but I would ask you to seek out professional guidance before you start doing anything with mains supply. There are specific regulations in effect now about DIY Electrical work.

Ron. :D

I feel I must provide a lttle warning about using mains supply

Quite right Ron..

If you know little or nothing about electrical work then don't mess with it.

When it bites you and you can't let go, it will kill you :shock:

Use one of the many battery power packs that are fine for outside use.

Chubs, I feel I must provide a lttle warning about using mains supply albeit stepped down and rectified and regulated to the voltage you require.

If the mains supply at any point in it's journey to your scope is open to the elements, you must use a residual current cutoff device in the interest of personal safety, and that of your family. I don't want to sound alarmist, but I would ask you to seek out professional guidance before you start doing anything with mains supply. There are specific regulations in effect now about DIY Electrical work.

Ron. :D

Fair point and Im going to have a outside socket put in by a qualified electrician, something similar to this http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A231858&ts=82414&id=38123.....just needed the correct adaptor to fit to the scope.

CC The one you linked to looks ideal...got the lighter adaptor for dew heater etc...can then just keep that in the shed and plug in when ness.

Cheers All

Bang

...only joking :D

I have visions of a new craze ....'Scope Boy Racers' . Car parks full of hardcore astronomers fighting to get the highest slew speeds before gravity sends the scope flying! LOL

Extra street cred for attempting 360's in R.A. :D

Overclocking..... Old Skool enter.... overslewing :laughing3:

Matt

Archived