Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It doesn't get better than this!

stolenfeather

IMG_2497-1-1.jpg

Saturday, September 24th / 2011 (9:00 - 11:00pm)

Actually this star session started in the late afternoon when I went through my second collimation (aligning my primary and secondary mirrors so the image being seen comes out crystal clear). This time, it was much easier and I was able to finish it in 20 minutes. I was extremely surprised when I stepped outside since the night greeted me with a very comfortable 10 ºC or if you prefer, 50 ºF. There was no wind and everything was quiet. Finally, I would lose myself in the stars!

There are times when stargazing when everything goes wrong. This was NOT one of those times! The night was absolutely still, there was no moon present and everything seen through the eyepiece was crystal clear! High above was the constellation Cygnus. Although it strained my neck, looking straight above in order to better orient the scope, I was extremely pleased with what I saw. First there was the open cluster M29 that seemed to pulsate with light and finally, after trying many times before, I saw the North American Nebula.

Every time I have used my program Stellarium in the past month, it has shown me the location of a certain Vesta. This object, found in the constellation Capricornus would be my first seen asteroid. The night was going so well so why not? I found this object hard to locate when suddenly, I came across a familiar looking "fuzzy" star! This was no asteroid but M30! I was so lost! I didn't mind the mistake since this little object was worth further investigation. I had never come across it before and this is probably because I found it so faint! What wasn't helping was that this particular constellation was low to the horizon. It was around this point that I gave up on Vesta. My sense of direction was completely off and even if I saw it, I'm sure that most of it would be concealed due to it's location in the sky.

There was one more destination I wanted to see and it lay deep within the Great Square of Pegasus. I wanted to experience the Andromeda galaxy once more. When I located it, my eyes actually watered with excitement. I had seen this little beauty many times before but this was last year when I had not mastered (or even tried) the art of collimation. I had seen this majesty of a galaxy with a very misaligned scope. Not this time! The image was crystal clear and seemed to jump out of the sky! When M32, an elliptical galaxy sprang into view I couldn't restrain myself and actually looked around to see if there was anyone around to share this with.

My new neighbour, as if on cue, called out to me, "Isabelle, are you out there?" Of course it is hard to see me since I am blanketed with darkness when outside with my telescope. "Come quick, I need to show you something!" I said. It was her first time looking through a telescope and what she saw was Andromeda! Since the constellation Pisces lingered below, I decided to find Uranus as well. I have to admit that unlike many who have stated that they saw colour when looking at this particular planet, I never have.

I wanted to show my neighbour the planet Jupiter but it was found on the other side of the house so, like I had done with my students about a week ago, we carried the telescope through the house to the front door, The view it shared was one of extreme clarity and the bands were clearly defined.

When my neighbour left, I decided to stay indoors for a couple of minutes to warm up and work on my "Ultimate Messier Object Log" (program found online) which can be printed and filed, as seen below:

IMG_2770-1.jpg

Yeah, It doesn't get better than this!

Isabelle

and it lay deep within the Great Square of Pegasus.

I know,.. I star hop and hopped from Pegasus to Andromeda and I'm sorry for the error. The Andromeda galaxy is clearrly in the constellation Andromeda. It's nice that someone took the time on my blog to call me on it in such a condescending way. I'm sorry for being misleading. It was my error.

Isabelle

Great report Isabelle,your excitement is rather contagious. I found myself getting worked up just reading it. I hope you have many more grand nights out with your scope. It really steps up the thrill when you can share the experience with someone. Glad you had the opportunity to do so. Best wishes and clear skies.

Nice report! Got to love those nights Isabelle. ;)

Uranus for me a few hours ago was a more bluish than green hue this time, I was using a 13mm Ethos and my 925. When I last looked, using my now sold 13mm Nagler, it appeared more greenish which I have usually tended to see when observing it.

As for Jupiter well......:p

Thanks for coming by Alan. I wonder what I am doing wrong and why I have not yet seen any colour to Uranus. I thought at first that it had to do with collimation but it's not. I'll have to give it another shot!

The greatness of stargazing Johnny? It is such a rush to be out there and I often feel alone with this passion since not many other people are interested in astronomy where I am. Coming on this forum though makes me feel so much better. I use maps, charts and my trusty Stellarium. Slowly, I am learning to navigate the stars and for this I'm proud! Thanks for your encouragement. I have to say though,... there are times that I wish I had a go-to. :p

Isabelle

not many other people are interested in astronomy where I am.
I think many of us understand that, get's lonely out there but at least if we're out the Cosmos we're never alone. ;)

Is there no one any were close to you? Two heads and opinions are better....

Go To polarizes opinion but for me this is the most important factor... Pink Floyd - Time - YouTube :p

Archived