Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C8 SCT maximum FOV possible?

Hello all. :glasses2:

I have been looking at picking up a Celestron C8 SCT but after reading my umpteenth review I had a question (well a few) regarding the maximum actual field of view which can be achieved?

The info I have heard so far would suggest that the scopes primary mirror baffle is less than the two inch visual back

Would you experience vignetting with eyepieces which exceed the width of the baffle?

Thanks for the info :glasses2:

I suspect that this should be sufficient actual FOV but might need to see with my own eyes before my final decision.

Just to throw the question out there would the C9.25 show about the same FOV with it's larger baffle as the C8?

I know it's focal length is longer but I suspect it will balance out? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys :glasses2:

I suspect there might be the odd SCT at peak star party. Better go begging for some viewing time :rolleyes:

I guess that 1.3 degrees or 80 arc minutes should be just about enough.

I won't be using it on a GoTo mount so I have my concerns about locating stuff ;)

It's also an area i' looking at. With my 4" refrac you get spoiled for wide field. And for the same reasons DSO in compact scope a C8 would be a good alternative but a 1 deg or so is a bit limited.

I'm also not interested in goto or guided but was wondering would a EQ5 mount handle a C8 0r 9.25 for visual use only?

andrew

MjrTom,

The FOV of your average 8 x 50 finder is about 5 degrees...this means if you work close to the centre crosswire you're guaranteed that your object will be in the FOV of a low power eyepiece. From finder to 20mm (on my C9.25) works well. Star hopping with a one degree field takes practise but certainly doable.

You shouldn't have any problems finding stuff...

Archived