Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 and the double cluster

Ant

Morning all,

I managed to get out last night and actually try out the ST102.

There was a layer of high thin cloud over the entire sky. Which made the sky extremely bright, even with the LP filter and the Fringe killer I could only really manage to get 2 minutes at ISO 800. Which was a shame cause I was going to go for 5 minute subs on M31 and see what happened :clouds1:

So I managed a single image of the double cluster, 132 seconds at ISO 1600 - but I then had to process quite hard to bring the sky back down to an acceptable brightness (or darkness).

I then changed the ISO down to 800 and went for M31. I took 4 x 110 second images, again with the new LP filter and the fringe killer. I've stacked them in images plus and the result is OK.

I have these images in my pocket on a CF card but I left the card reader at home and have no way of getting them onto the PC (DOH!) - hopefully get to go home at lunch time at get it.

I manually guided using an Antares 12mm illuminated EP through the 8" while imaging through the ST102.

I think that next time I may try guiding through the ST102 using a barlow, diagonal and Illuminated EP (Need to find a cheap diagonal - any one got one for sale) and imaging through the 8". Not sure if the guiding will be accurate enough this way round though.

Ant

it was blumming fantastic to get out again.

But with the ST102 on the back of the 8" - it take take a little longer to set up. I balanced the scope - then realised that I hadn't connected the camera! had to do it all over again.

Ant

it was blumming fantastic to get out again.

But with the ST102 on the back of the 8" - it take take a little longer to set up. I balanced the scope - then realised that I hadn't connected the camera! had to do it all over again.

Ant

Well here's one for you i was out last weekend scoping and during setup i tried to balance the scope but to no avail. Doh i then realised that i hadn't even put the counter weight shaft or weights on yet. :withstupid:

Glad to see that you got out though. Feels good don't it.

I haven't heard that one before Jamie. Maybe we need a section of "stupid stuff". At least it would be worth a good read...

I set everything up a few years ago and set the Toucam capturing a DSO, 30 second subs. I went in doors for about 45 minutes came back out to find that I had set the exposure run going!

Ant

Here we go guys, these were taken using the official "antscan" upgrade, the goto is Rubbish. but the guiding is second to none :clouds1:

The Double Cluster. This is a 132 second single frame. May have looked nicer if I has framed the object properly...

image.jpg

M31, 4 x 110 second exposures - the stars are round.

image.jpg

Trouble with "antscan" is that it gets neck ache very quickly and doesn't work well in the cold.

Ant

True, russ. But there is one strange fault. If you put the TV on and a cup of coffee next to the armchair, the antscan has a tendancy to suffer some sort of breakdown and needs to be rested for about 45 mins or so.

This is quite common in some of these older models, I understand.

less of the older model you git!

But I do agree the "your coffee needs re heating" error message does distract it quite a lot.

On the flip side of the coin though, the "antscan" can react well to wild animals(Cats) bumping into the mount during exposures - beleive me they don't come back.

Ant

Archived