Which Photoshop version to buy?

Hi

I currently don't have Photoshop installed on my computer and have been looking at which one to buy to be able to use on my astro images. Can anyone advise me on which one I should be looking at please.

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just bought CS3 as an upgrade from my old Ps7. You don't need a later version for astrophotography, I reckon, because much of the later stuff is for video. All my pictures to date have been done in Ps7 but I would like the full 16 bit depth available for all functions. I've used CS3 and it does have some good new features beside that but nothing earth shattering. I found it for £178 on Amazon. I did check compatibility with Windows 7 and it seems it should be OK. Some people using processors other than Pentium seemed to have bothers but I decided to risk it.

Olly

For what most people need it for on here, GIMP is free, it works.

It has all the tools and accuracy one needs on here.

Curves, Levels, Saturation, High pass layers (via scripts / add ins), channels, colour stretching. Gimp does all that, free, even with very large 8k x 8k mosaics it works reasonably fast (slower sure but not very slow), I know, I tried this last night lol. PLUS, UPRADES are free, PS isn't :)

What features do you actually need that Gimp hasn't got that worth forking out the price of a small telescope for? It even works with Wacom tablets / cintiqs. Btw if you purchased a Wacom, you get some software free, try those? I do recommend Wacom Intuos 4 Large's, why pay hundreds for a box of software, when you can pay hundreds for a WACOM TABLET, AND FREE SOFTWARE. Think about it.

Would you rather have Photoshop legally or a new telescope? I know which one I would prefer lol

The more I compare PS to a new telescope or accessories, or camera, the less appealing it becomes lol.

Has anyone tried the open source software 'The GIMP'? I've not tried to apply it to astrophotography so i don't know how it would measure up but it's reasonably good for normal image manipulation, plus it is free!!

I might be barking up the wrong tree but it might be worth a go as a free experiment :)

Once gimp gets full 16 bit support it will be ok ... until then if your better off doing as much as the initial strteching as possible in DSS...

Peter...

Well it was worth a thought. fingers crossed for the near future development of GIMP. Free is always good - if it does the job.:)

"Data stretch" what exactly is this and how do you do it??

Sorry for the newbi question.

No need to be sorry for a question.... :)

Have you had a chance to check out the Primers and Tutorials that are stickies in the imaging sub boards?

Here's a link to one on Stretching...

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/46761-3-primer-how-stretch-histogram-using-levels-curves-long-download.html

Peter...

I'm using Photoshop 8 (vintage 2003) in a virtualised W2K environment (with a Linux host).

I've never had any problem with it and it seems to have all the features I need to process astro images and run the "actions" I've bought. It has support for 16 bit images and will even import CR2 raws from my Canon 20d.

I'm using Photoshop 8 (vintage 2003) in a virtualised W2K environment (with a Linux host).

Good effort :)

I'm using elements 9 here.

I was going to stay on elements 8 but decided to upgrade for a couple of the new features. Especially the "Out of Bounds" effect which is great fun to play with.

Neil

I can confirm that CS3 works just fine on Windows 7

This seems quite involved. I spent an afternoon on it via internet!

Probably fine if you have a Pentium processor but I am a computer numbskull. A large number of non-Pentium users had descended into nightmares over this.

drewzilla, I really can't agree, I'm afraid. Elements is completely useless for any kind of serious deep sky astro imaging. It is a 'final tweaks' package. For building the deep structure of a picture it has little or nothing to offer.

KE400, Peter's link is good but there is also a fine explanation by SGL's Rob Hodgkinson to be found here: http://middlehillobservatory.co.uk/articles-primers/Levels%20and%20curves.htm

This is why Elements is unsatisfactory.

Olly

Archived