NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Kelling - Imaging and observing targets thread

Hi folks

Didn't want to clog up any of the other Kelling threads so thought I'd start one specifically for folks to post/discuss the objects they want to point their scopes/bino's/cameras at up at kelling this coming week?

Obviously we all know we'll have four or five days of clear skies and sunshine next weekend (ha!) so my plans for the three nights I'll be there include:

Once I've got my new 6" RC astrograph set up and hopefully the Synguider behaving:

NGC891 - Just discovered this gorgeous edge-on spiral galaxy whilst looking over my deep sky map for galaxies I could image this time of year... I'm aiming to get a few hours on this with the RC, given it's relatively large size my calcs say it should be about 1200 X 300 pixels on the camera chip... so should get some lovely detail in it.

M81 - having done the M81/82 thing earlier in the year with my 1m fl refractor (which I then sold) shooting just M81 at 1.34m fl with a higher res camera should produce something nice. With it being so close to the NCP I am hopeful of 5min subs minimum on this with the guiding working... and at 800ISO even at f9 this should yield quite a detailed pic (the galaxy fills about 1/4 of the whole camera's fov!)

Then, with the Meg72:

M31 - I want to do this properly... the whole thing should just about fit in the fov of the Meg72 so 3hrs or so on this in 5min subs should produce something quite nice.

Horsehead/Flame - assuming I can stay up late enough to do it I want to do a few hours in 4 - 5min subs on this, then later extend it to a 2-panel mosaic including M42 when that's high enough.

NGC7000 - would be nice to get this in too if I can, again a few hours in 4 - 5min subs should do it.

If I have time, it'd also be nice to get an hour or so on M13 through the RC but we'll have to see.

I also desperately want to view a few things through a BIG dob, 16"+ as I've never had a chance to look through anything bigger than 12".

That about covers it for me.... what is everyone else aiming for?

Ben

I guess it will be the same old favourites for me, I do them every year at Kelling!

M45

M42

B33

Double cluster

M33

What I REALLY want to achieve this year is some tracked ultra widefield Milky Way images. Every year I try, and usually scrape by with some soft focus DSLR images, going to try and nail that this time.

I am really struggling for room in the car and trailer so might not be able to bring my H9 camera, shame because that works a treat with a lens on. If it does make it, then I will take narrowband filters and do a widefield Heart and Soul in Hubble palette, and maybe a N7000 too.

Being there two weeks, I generally get 5 - 7 night useful for imaging, at least for part of the night. You do need to stay up all night though to get the juicier targets like M42.

For daytime I will have my PST, and for night-time once the kit is running my 50x70s. I usually tag along with one or two of the big dobs for a few hours as well.

See you there, we are all packed up now, just need to hitch up the trailer and the bikes and off we go. Very excited now :) First two week holiday in a tent as a family, we usually have a caravan.

Tim

If I haven't managed it before Thurs (when I come to Kelling) I want to get my next image of Venus. I managed to see it today in the eyepiece and just got an image in focus with my DMK21 camera when the clouds rolled in :)

Night time objects:

Kemble's Cascade again - I'm not happy with my last attempt so this time with a scope (rather than 200mm lens) and a two frame mosaic.

Repeat of M31 with 200mm lens

Bubble and M52 in the same frame

N America Nebula

California Nebula

Jupiter with a shadow transit and/or GRS

Dave

M31

Veil (if still gettable?)

The Veil is very much gettable at this time of year being pretty much overhead as it gets dark at this time of year.

M101 is another good one from Kelling as despite being quite low down in the north the best horizon in terms of LP is the north.

I've no idea yet what I'm going to be imaging, I'm torn as to whether I try some LRGB or not - usually at home it's narrowband so if I do LRGB I have to get all the data done whilst at Kelling.

Hmm... I think I'll do something in Cassiopeia and when that gets too close to the zenith I'll switch to Auriga...

James

If I haven't managed it before Thurs (when I come to Kelling) I want to get my next image of Venus. I managed to see it today in the eyepiece and just got an image in focus with my DMK21 camera when the clouds rolled in :)

Dave

Update - Just managed to get an image of Venus so that comes off the list. Also Jupiter is low on the priority list as (a) I managed a reasonable image of it with the red spot last night and (:) this can be done from home.

Thanks James, I had forgotten the Veil - I will likely give that a go.

Dave

Archived