Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

It's not compulsory :)

Doesn't look like much of a party ATM - just you and me, I think the others might be away. Weather forecast is showers. Maybe we should postpone it until next week.

Your call Gina, If you can let me know by say Thursday 1400 hrs...

Francis

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gina,

I'm still willing to help, of course. But I wouldn't have been able to do this Friday. That's why I've kept quiet. ;-)

A weekend would be much easier for me.

Any day is generally fine for me - weekdays or weekend - so I'm happy to fit in with the majority ;) Particularly as it's me that's getting the help :)

Today's Progress Report.

Weather today was overcast but fine, though windy and rather cold until lunchtime after which heavy rain came in and the wind increased.

Working on the obsy roof today. Preparing the framework and fixing plywood onto the roof structure ready for sticking rubber membrane on top.

1. Removed barge boards to allow for attaching the rubber membrane behind them.

2. Cut 75x22mm timber to provide up, over and down support for the membrane and rounded top corners with Surform..

3. Screwed above onto roof frame.

4. Rounded top edges of apex beam to avoid sharp corners when laying the membrane over the top.

5. Drilled and screwed remaining top support pieces for the plywood onto the roof frame apex beam.

6. Brought a sheet of plywood down from the shed and manoeuvred it onto the obsy roof.

7. Marked plywood for cutting to length. (Roof framework design changes resulted in slightly shorter panel).

8.Sheet cut to length with circular saw.

9. Sheet put back up onto roof and screwed down to the roof frame.

With the good progress today we have a record number of webcam images, starting with sunrise. I didn't stop to take any DSLR photos.

2011-11-02-1.jpg

2011-11-02-2.jpg

2011-11-02-3.jpg

2011-11-02-4.jpg

2011-11-02-5.jpg

2011-11-02-6.jpg

2011-11-02-7.jpg

2011-11-02-8.jpg

2011-11-02-9.jpg

2011-11-02-a.jpg

2011-11-02-b.jpg

2011-11-02-c.jpg

2011-11-02-d.jpg

2011-11-02-e.jpg

2011-11-02-f.jpg

2011-11-02-g.jpg

2011-11-02-h.jpg

2011-11-02-i.jpg

2011-11-02-j.jpg

2011-11-02-k.jpg

2011-11-02-l.jpg

2011-11-02-m.jpg

2011-11-02-n.jpg

2011-11-02-o.jpg

2011-11-02-p.jpg

2011-11-02-q.jpg

2011-11-02-r.jpg

2011-11-02-s.jpg

2011-11-02-t.jpg

2011-11-02-u.jpg

2011-11-02-v.jpg

2011-11-02-w.jpg

2011-11-02-x.jpg

2011-11-02-y.jpg

2011-11-02-z.jpg

Weather forecast for Friday is heavy showers so I'm cancelling the work party for Friday. ATM Sunday is looking alright. How does that suit for a work party here? Or please suggest suitable date(s).

Regarding your webcam image 2011-11-01 14:35:18 (post #394)

Are you:

1) testing your pier's isolation from nearby footsteps?

2) flattening molehills?

3) doing the hokie-cokie?

If it's a raindance. please desist ! ;)

Cheers

Michael

You left out the 4th option :-

4) None of these :)

And that's the answer :headbang: A raindance it certainly is NOT!! We have far too much of that already, thank you!! Talking of which, the fine start and light breeze has been replaced by heavy rain and a strong wind!! And I was hoping to get the other piece of plywood on the roof today!

EDIT :- Make that TORRENTIAL RAIN!!! :p :p

Today's Progress Report.

Very mixed weather today. Fine with a light breeze at sunrise and very mild but very soon the heavens opened and we had torrential rain and strong winds. Later it turned to heavy showers and fine intervals. With strong gusts in the showers. We even had a few sunny spells. I made use of the fine periods to get on with the build.

Main job today was covering the second half of the obsy roof with plywood and adding the edge strips. Also de-cluttered the floor during a brief fine period.

So to itemise :-

1. Sorted out timber for raising the rubber membrane at the edge of the roof to stop rain water blowing off over the edge.

2. Cut pieces above to length and rounded the top edges and corners for the rubber membrane to go round before going down the side of the roof.

3. Trimmed the plywood for the remaining half of the obsy roof and took it down to the site.

4. Manoeuvred the plywood up onto the roof and into position. Held in place with clamps until the next fine period.

5. Screwed the plywood onto the framework. (Some more screws to go in later when the weather permits).

6. Edge strips screwed onto edge of both halves of the roof.

7. Replaced rope through cable duct pipe with string and emptied rain water out of pipe!

8. Cleared up and moved various pieces of timber, guttering, screws, tools etc. out of the way until required.

Now to today's photos and webcam images :-

2011-11-03-1.jpg

2011-11-03-2.jpg

2011-11-03-3.jpg

2011-11-03-4.jpg

2011-11-03-5.jpg

2011-11-03-6.jpg

2011-11-03-7.jpg

2011-11-03-8.jpg

2011-11-03-9.jpg

2011-11-03-a.jpg

2011-11-03-b.jpg

2011-11-03-c.jpg

2011-11-03-d.jpg

2011-11-03-e.jpg

2011-11-03-f.jpg

2011-11-03-g.jpg

2011-11-03-h.jpg

2011-11-03-i.jpg

2011-11-03-j.jpg

2011-11-03-k.jpg

2011-11-03-l.jpg

2011-11-03-m.jpg

2011-11-03-n.jpg

2011-11-03-o.jpg

2011-11-03-p.jpg

2011-11-03-q.jpg

2011-11-03-r.jpg

2011-11-03-s.jpg

2011-11-03-t.jpg

2011-11-03-u.jpg

2011-11-03-v.jpg

2011-11-03-w.jpg

2011-11-03-x.jpg

My EPDM Rubber Membrane and adhesive arrived this afternoon so when the roof is ready and dried out I'll be fitting it :) Not looking very good for tomorrow but Saturday looks better.

Forecast still good for Sunday - fine at least even if cloudy.

Torrential rain now and barely zero+ chance of getting anything done! :) I have the rain water from the west side obsy roof and warm room running down guttering and down pipe and off into the next field temporarily. But rain water from the 8x4 area of the east half of the obsy roof is just running off and down under the building.

The diggings have filled up with water up to the bottom of the floor beams ;) Of course we have been having a lot of very heavy rain lately but I think I may have to provide drainage from under the building. eg. dig a trench and put in a land drain - we have some 4" plastic land drain. OTOH with guttering on the obsy roof taking the rain water away there might not be a problem.

There is also a possibility of rain water running off the grass area above the building and underneath when the ground is really sodden and I was considering putting some drive drain channel in along the north wall to divert water around the building and away.

I want some dry weather, please... pretty please... ... ... I want my plywood and softwood surround to dry out so that I can slap the rubber roofing on and fasten it down round the edges :) Then I can add the guttering and the roof's done!! ;)

I've got my dry weather ;):headbang: Well... dryish - it isn't raining but everything is dripping with water. Forecast is for sunny spells and cloud with breeze increasing later. ATM there's just a light breeze. Not too cold - just under 11C.

Been out designing some details and fitting ball bearing guide rollers for the roll off. Definite improvement on blocks of wood :)

Hoping to finish screwing down the plywood on the roof later when it's dried off enough to crawl on the roof.

Looking good Gina
Thank you George ;)
I'd hurry up and get some cladding on them walls or maybe even some temporary tarps, not only will it provide shelter for you but give the floor etc a chance to dry out.
There is a possibility of getting the cladding on before the next lot of rain but OTOH I have a nice new tarp I can put over if it looks like raining beforehand :headbang: I think the latter is rather more likely! :)

Hi Gina

I drop by this thread from time to time to see how you're getting on. The obs has really come on and is looking good! Can't wait to see it finished.

A little envious that I don't have the space for my own obs :) but there's always the lottery!

Is that a spider on/in front of your webcam?

All the best

Bill

Hi Gina

I drop by this thread from time to time to see how you're getting on. The obs has really come on and is looking good! Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks Bill ;)
A little envious that I don't have the space for my own obs :) but there's always the lottery!
Yes, I'm very lucky, I know that :headbang:
Is that a spider on/in front of your webcam?
No, but I don't know what it is, I've tried cleaning the glass but I think it must be on the inside. It's definitely on the filter glass as it moves round when I rotate the filter. I'm afraid it's low priority - gotta get the obsy done whenever the weather is fine.

Today's Progress Report.

Dry weather today so pressed on hard - making up for no progress yesterday :) Everything still dripping with water from the earlier rain and a heavy dew. Not too cold - just under 11C and just a light breeze.

Did several smaller jobs while I waited for the roof to dry off. Then tackled the obsy roof.

Here's the details :-

1. Fitted ball bearing guide rollers for the roll off. Definite improvement on blocks of wood ;)

2. Fitted 3" (mini) guttering and down pipe on east end of roll off roof and attached standard down pipe to obsy south wall to catch rain water from the roof (mini down-pipe).

3. Got up onto the roof and finished screwing down the plywood on the obsy roof.

4. Rounded off any remaining edges from where the rubber membrane was to go.

5. Carried rubber roofing sheet up onto roof and spread it out over the obsy roof.

6. Glued roofing sheet down using special adhesive supplied.

7. Glued sheeting over apex sides and screwed barge boards back on. (Except for one).

Having some computer problems - I'll post webcam images shortly...

I'm afraid it's low priority - gotta get the obsy done whenever the weather is fine.

No! Don't worry about the webcam. It was just a question! Hope the weather stays fine and your work party goes well. I'd love to help but you're just a bit far away.

All the best

Bill

No! Don't worry about the webcam. It was just a question! Hope the weather stays fine and your work party goes well. I'd love to help but you're just a bit far away.

All the best

Bill

Thank you ;) Not quite sure yet when we're having the work party, I'm waiting to hear from someone to see when he can make it. ATM it's quite useful to be able to walk through the walls :) Won't be able to do that when the shiplap is on LOL

Archived