Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Powerseeker 50AZ - Moon

Hi all,

So I bought the Powerseeker 50AZ and wanted to view the moon which is currently in its full state. I've tried every single option I had, such as combining the Barlow 3x or erect eyepiece 1.5x with the 4mm, 12.5mm or 20mm eyepiece, but none of those gave me a good result, either one was too close (I think), or the moon was too bright, but what I know is it was impossible to look at the moon. Except the Barlow 3x combined with 20mm eyepiece, with this I could slightly recognize something, but I expected better results.

So my question is, is there anything I should buy to view the moon properly or in more detail? I've read about some Moon filters 1.25" but apparently these are for the 60AZ, 70AZ and 76AZ models. Or if I am doing something wrong such as combining the wrong parts, or not using the star diagonal, could you please tell me?

If I have to buy anything, my budget is around £10-£20, the lower the better for me.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Pogge

Hi

Having checked on Celestron's website the star diagonal that comes with the scope is 0.96" so you are using older non-standard eyepieces and will need to source a 0.96" moon filter. Either that or wear sunglasses when viewing the moon (I'm being serious). You could approach Tasco as they used to make scopes with 0.96" eyepieces so they may have accessories in that size as well.

As for actual observing, the rule of thumb is that you can magnify 2x per mm of aperture or 50x per inch or aperture so the maximum magnification your scope can achieve is 100x. This means that you put the 4mm ep back in the box and forget it's there (the 4mm gives 150x mag up to 450x with the 3x barlow - way too high for the abilities of your scope which is why you can't see anything). Use the 12mm ep as your high power ep (50x) and use the 20mm as your low power ep (30x). Only use the 3x barlow with the 20mm ep to give a maximum magnification of 90x - the highest mag you can use with the scope.

Finally, make sure that your tripod is as stable and solid as you can make it: tighten all screws and bolts, place it on a flat level surface (preferably a lawn or balcony), place a small weight of some kind on the accessory tray to make the setup more rigid, and use your scope away from sources of heat such as pavements, near buildings, etc).

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Hi

As for actual observing, the rule of thumb is that you can magnify 2x per mm of aperture or 50x per inch or aperture so the maximum magnification your scope can achieve is 100x.

sorry to disagree , but i have found the rule of thumb is more like 1x the mm of the scope , so if you have 100mm scope the max usable mag would be x 100 . but trial and error works even better lol:icon_salut:

Hi

As for actual observing, the rule of thumb is that you can magnify 2x per mm of aperture or 50x per inch or aperture so the maximum magnification your scope can achieve is 100x.

sorry to disagree , but i have found the rule of thumb is more like 1x the mm of the scope , so if you have 100mm scope the max usable mag would be x 100 . but trial and error works even better lol:icon_salut:

Hi HemiHaggis

That's OK, rules of thumb don't take in all the factors so 1x per mm works just as well for looking at clouds. :(

Hi and thanks for all the replies, many different opinions here, but I will try what you said tonight, onesmallstep, thanks.

As for the lunar filter, is it possible to provide me with a link, Veracocha or anyone else? There are many filters on many sites, so I don't really know which one to buy, but once I checked the moon tonight, I might not even need it, as I will try the sunglasses.

Thanks all

Guys, it wasn't the eyepiece, barlow, nor the moon being too bright. The problem was actually me not using the Focus Knob, haha. After using the Focus Knob, I could get the results I expected using what you said, onesmallstep (3x barlow with 20mm or just the 12.5mm). I could even see Jupiter with 4 moons? I don't know but 4 circles around that planet (Using google, it should be 4 moons :(). So this means I don't/didn't need any filters or adapters, but what do you expect from beginners? ;)

Thanks for all the help guys, great forum and sorry for my stupid mistake :)

Edited by Pogge
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

yes the focuser does help, but if i admitted to some of my astro mistakes you would all laugh your heads of. If you can get the 0996 to 125 diagonal and a couple of 1.25 eyepieces you will do a lot better, aim for a 25mm and a 10mm eyepieces

• 1 month later...

I got the same telescope for christmas.

Very happy with it. Although I know what you mean, you can't see anything with the Barlow lens. I could see Jupiter and it's moons with the 12mm. Where is the best place to buy a 10mm eyepiece?

• 9 years later...

Hii guys. I recently bought this telescope and just saw mars, venus and mercury. All of it looked like a bright star and nothing more. Mars was a  red dot. Should I use filter or is there any other problem in focusing. Or is it the maximum ability of this telescope

On 16/09/2011 at 19:19, Pogge said:

Guys, it wasn't the eyepiece, barlow, nor the moon being too bright. The problem was actually me not using the Focus Knob, haha. After using the Focus Knob, I could get the results I expected using what you said, onesmallstep (3x barlow with 20mm or just the 12.5mm). I could even see Jupiter with 4 moons? I don't know but 4 circles around that planet (Using google, it should be 4 moons :(). So this means I don't/didn't need any filters or adapters, but what do you expect from beginners? ;)

Thanks for all the help guys, great forum and sorry for my stupid mistake :)

It's of course not a stupid mistake but I imagine no one on Stargazers Lounge would have thought of that! It is a better scope than Galileo had when he changed humanities view of the cosmos - so have fun!

Best

Edited by beka
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sweet dreams said:

Hii guys. I recently bought this telescope and just saw mars, venus and mercury. All of it looked like a bright star and nothing more. Mars was a  red dot. Should I use filter or is there any other problem in focusing. Or is it the maximum ability of this telescope

Hi there,

I can't speak for the telescope I'm afraid but now is not the best time to view Mars as it is a considerable distance away from the Earth and won't in opposition (close and fully illuminated by the sun) until December 2022. The last time it was in such a position was October 2020. This September you should be able to see Jupiter and Saturn but the magnification and clarity you get will depend on the eyepiece (and barlow) you use.

Hope that helps,

Stu

• Thanks 1

It's all the fun of learning...waaaaaaay back when I got my 60mm Tasco refractor I could not see a thing through it...my Dad could not see anything?

Yes you guessed it....I did not take the lens cap off 🤪........Enjoy :thumbsup:

Mark

4 hours ago, Sweet dreams said:

I just had a quick look for the specifications of the telescope, and can't see if it uses the fairly standard 1.25" diameter barrel eyepieces ? Some 'scopes like this use smaller ones . Any filters you might buy would screw on a thread inside the bottom of the eyepiece, and such filters are usually made to fit 1.25" eyepieces.

So before buying any accessories like filters or more eyepieces, do check the diameter first !

Heather

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sabalias said:

Hi there,

I can't speak for the telescope I'm afraid but now is not the best time to view Mars as it is a considerable distance away from the Earth and won't in opposition (close and fully illuminated by the sun) until December 2022. The last time it was in such a position was October 2020. This September you should be able to see Jupiter and Saturn but the magnification and clarity you get will depend on the eyepiece (and barlow) you use.

Hope that helps,

Thanks for the information but what about venus??

9 minutes ago, Sweet dreams said:

Venus is close to the Sun now so you can't see it presently. You will be able to see it in the evening a few months from now - the scope will be able to show you the phases like the moon. Actually most other backyard scopes won't show much more. If you have not used it so far Stellarium is a very good planetarium program that will allow you to plan your observing sessions. I would suggest that you avoid the image erecting eyepiece and Barlow, and that you hold of buying any accessories (filters, eyepieces) for a while. You can decide later after using the scope for a while and you know more about what kind of observing you are more interested in.

All the best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweet dreams said:

Venus will simply be a bright thing with no detail (but with phases just like the Moon) whatever 'scope or filter you might use :  you are seeing the top of a very reflective sea of gas, never what lies below.

Planets which a telescope can show some detail are Jupiter, Saturn (gas giants, but with features )and Mars, where you are seeing the rocky surface.

I'd suggest reading this very informative post :

• Like 1

Thank you beka and Tiny clanged. As I am just a starter I do not know much about the sky. I hope that the stellarium will work and I am going to install it today. By the way, beka, tiny clanger and everyone else, can the light pollution in my city affect my observing of the planets. I am asking this as I am living in the highly polluted Indian city Chennai.