Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CPC XLT 925 (Celestron) vs 14" Goto DOB (Skywatcher)

I do like the CPC though and It would be my choice among the ALT-Az SCTs. Pity they don't make the OTA detachable from the forks for transporting though.
agree John, I know some do transport their 925 but I have found it just a bit too risky in the car. Pity it can't be broken down a bit more.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
agree John, I know some do transport their 925 but I have found it just a bit too risky in the car. Pity it can't be broken down a bit more.

How hard would it be for Celestron to fit dovetail saddles as they already fit to the SE mount but on both arms of the CPC fork mount so you could just slide the OTA into place and then you'd also be able to move the OTA a bit for balance. :( Perhaps Losmandy type saddles though to make it more solid.

John

As SteveL hasn't been back, what I guess he meant about FL was that you get an increasingly reduced field of view in a given eyepiece as focal length goes up. The SCTs have a long FL and in my 10 inch Meade I have a FL of 2.5 metres, half a metre longer than in my 20 inch F4 Newt which has four times the light grasp. I tend to feel a bit boxed in, rather needlessly, by my SCT but on the other hand it is physically very compact, easy to collimate (though rarely touched) and so on. But a 10 inch F5 could give a far wider FOV. (BTW, The f6.3 reducer option is irrelevant because it will not widen the view in a widefield 2 inch EP.) If the FOV doesn't bother you then fine.

Make sure you have physically seen a 14 inch before you buy one...

Olly

The 10" and mount is cheaper than the C1100 and only a little more than the C925. I would probably buy a 10" Dob and a smaller 80 -102 Apo and the mount so I can do some photography. The nice thing is I can put a 10" SCT on the mount at a later date - Celestron or Meade. I have been wondering why no one did mounts like this ?

Archived