Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skyliner 200p

Hello folks!

I have taken the time to look at all kinds of scopes from the very cheap to the veryyyy expencive so I could gauge what I want to see and what is realistic for me.

I have taken the time to focus on 8" scopes over 10" to save on size of the scope it's self, this for me is a sacrifice I am willing to make over clarity of deep space viewing.

I have a few questions, for one what is it like carrying one of these? How much do they weigh?

Any other pieces of information on this scope that you would like to share would be most appreciated!

The easiest way to move them is to separate the tube from the base, and move them individually, it's also the less risky option.

The weight of an 8" is around 27kg, up to a 300p which is around 40kg.

The 8" can if you are able, be picked up and moved as one, but the bigger scopes are not just heavier, but bulkier and more difficult to handle.

I always carry mine in two bits, saves the back. Brantuk tried carrying his scope and mount as one and put his back out quite badly.

If you would like the specs for the scopes, have a look here.

http://www.skywatcher.com

is the 8 inch really 27kg? it isn't very heavy imo, it is just an awkward shape to carry to base. The base has a built in handle, but it's akward to carry like that, I prefer to grab the base with both hands.

The OTA is very easy to lift.

I used to carry the whole thing togetehr but its just awkward and the stupid eyepiece holder kept digging inmy me so I just took that off, as I dn't use it anyway.

Whenever you first buy a scope of this size you always think its big, but in the space of a month it begins to look too small if anything!

Thanks for the input guys its greatly appreciated. Weight is a major factor as I don't own a car on anything more than a provisional however access to transport isn't completely out of the question.

This has helped me gauge what I am willing to get (this sounded more sinister than I had first intended...strokes cat....)

Thanks for the input guys its greatly appreciated. Weight is a major factor as I don't own a car on anything more than a provisional however access to transport isn't completely out of the question.

This has helped me gauge what I am willing to get (this sounded more sinister than I had first intended...strokes cat....)

Hmm, I'm thinking that a cheap skateboard under the mount and a pair of rollerblades for the the user might reduce the need for a car?

I have the 200 Dob and it is excellent. Not too heavy and certainly manageable to move around. I usually leave tube on and point it towards the ground, lock off and grab end of tube and handle on bas. Easy enough to carry IMO.

Have fun!

Archived