NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark Skys

valleyman

only problem with blaenavon will be wind, it can get quite breezy during winter months,

I have also been looking at the hafod road which takes you across the mountains above crickhowell , though your southerly horizon can be limited.

another location may be the mountain between fochriw and trelewis, some good views from there at night also.

just my t'pennyth worth

the hafod road runs from brynmawr across to the llangattock escarpment. I used to climb there a lot many moons ago.

Streetmap.co.uk- search results for 321760,214920

the Darren Valley does have sheep, but they are scattered quite far and wide over the hillside. and I am sure a group of stargazers could contend with them.

there is another alternative Starblazer and I have discussed. it's the hafod y dafal farm above abertillery

take a look, the road to it is steep and my be a little bumpy , but i think it worth a look in also

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/place/Hafod-y-dafal_in_Blaenau_Gwent_431611_314611.htm

looking at the maps it has quite an open south facing horizon, though i am yet to take a good look up there.

the road near trelewis and fochrhiw is one i wouldnt want to observe on, cars frequent along quiet often, theres sheep horses and even large cows and bulls and alot of traffic goes through there from fochrhiw to deri and bedlinog

perhaps a view in the dark would be better, last time we choose a site just by looking at a map there was a friendly sight in the corner... a large street lamp :) which didnt appear on the maps

one location id like to see if we can use is penalta parc

the hafod road runs from brynmawr across to the llangattock escarpment. I used to climb there a lot many moons ago.

Streetmap.co.uk- search results for 321760,214920

I used to live under the arrow on that map :)

I imagine it would have made an excellent dark sky site then. No idea what it's like now. Do you know the iron bridge over the Usk between Gilwern and Glangrwyney? That was at the end of our garden. Just past the bridge there's what I think used to be an old paper mill, but was a John Deere dealership when we lived there. I think it's a private house now. We had to go right across the yard to get to the end of our drive, and the only thing beyond was a sheep farm.

Just had a look on google maps. Brings the memories flooding back. Jumpers for goalposts...

James

Im glad you got up to the site pat,2 weeks ago i had an amazing night there with my son,next time your heading that way give me a tinkle i will get the kettle on.Starblazer your tatoo is very familiar lol,i didnt realise you was into stargazing.

what about this site, did a bit of research around there

I have flagged the site with a green pointer, its in the top right corner. Its not far from the site you mentioned

there are a couple of radio masts next to the site but the views look quite amazing, see what you think guys

post-20795-133877659198_thumb.jpg

I got that problem every time im nights its always clear!!,Do you go drinking in ebbw much now?/The masts arnt a problem,theres no lights around the compound so your night vision isnt cpmpromised.Thoses coordinates pat,around the whistle and the lakes.... i walk the dog there.Ive found a place near abergavenny and its totaly dark

Funny you should say that i been thinking about a tatoo lol,seriuously though fox hunters grave (blaenavon) is a really good site.Theres another site just down the road just as good,more sheltered but smaller (ive got pics of both if anyone wants to see them).If anyone wants to look at either site let me know and i can meet you and take you up there,

Archived