Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 6SE and Revelation eyepiece set - long

dogfish

After a long wait for the 6SE to make its way across the Atlantic (must have been a slow boat) it arrived about two weeks ago. As you will have seen, the skies have been reasonably clear recently so I survived 'new scope curse' (mebbe I paid my dues with the long wait for it to arrive) so I have had some fun with my new kit and I feel that I can now give some opinions on it. I also bought the Revelation eyepiece kit as well as other bits and bobs.

Bit of background to begin with. This is my first telescope, although I have had a lend of a cheap 6" newt (Event Horizon - see Ebay) for the past couple of months and had started finding my way around the sky and had seen M42, M45 (with nebulosity when I took it to a dark site - very nice), Saturn and the Moon. I had been frustrated with my inability to find other objects, so this made me choose a set-up that included GoTo. I also live in a suburban area just outside Glasgow, with its fair share of light pollution, so I wanted something that was portable and the 6SE seemed to offer that. On to the review.

The telescope arrived safely one morning when I was at work. I was so impatient that I came home at lunchtime to unpack it and check it was all in order. Thankfully, there were no problems and I can honestly say that set-up, straight out of the box, took me about 15 minutes. I couldn't wait for the night to come.

First night problems. Although I had bought a second hand leisure battery to power it, I hadn't realised that the lead to connect to an external power supply didn't come with the telescope (as it had with my pal's CPC11). However, the 6SE can be powered by 8 AA batteries, so I wasn't too worried. Pah! I should have been.

The alignment process was really problematic. Although I thought I knew what I was doing, the alignment seemed really poor. For example, 'going to' Saturn meant that it appeared just on the edge of the field of view and sometimes not even there and I had to search for it. Ditto with star clusters. The scope would slew to it, but then I had to hunt around in the area nearby. I was beginning to think that either I'm stupid or I'd got a duff bit of kit. I went on various websites to check that I was doing everything right, such as centring the alignment stars first in the lowest power EP and then in a higher powered one, making sure I finished alignment by moving right and up, etc. Still there was problems. I could hear the GoTo struggling by the 2nd or third night out, so I changed the batteries, but the same problems were occuring. The worst thing was that the GoTo seemed to re-boot itself from time to time. Also, there were times when it just didn't get anywhere near where it was supposed to be going and would just stop in mid-slew. I was getting really frustrated and becoming concerned that I'd got a dodgy telescope. Then, the lead arrived from Astronomiser (cheap, about 9 quid, very speedy service) and so I could try out the leisure battery as a power source. This cured all the problems instantly. Even with a quick 3 star align using only the lower power EP, everything worked perfectly. Objects were nearly always close to the centre of the field, nothing was ever outside of it. I was forced to conclude that the AA batteries don't work as a power source. I was so releived that this had fixed it, my previous frustrations melted away.

What about the telescope itself? I'm happy with it. The objects seem as clear as I would have expected them to be, but the seeing has been very poor in recent days, despite the clear skies, so it's a bit hard to judge. On one night of better seeing, I was very pleased with the view of Saturn; some banding, cassini division and at least four moons. A more considered judgement will have to wait for the longer term when I can compare over more varied conditions. The telescope itself seems very solidly built and the tripod and mount appear to provide a fairly stable platform. I know people have been concerned about the single arm mount, but it does appear to hold the tube well. Focusing seems a bit tight, by that I mean that there seems only to be a narrow area of play where things are in focus. Again I'm uncertain whether this is recent atmospheric conditions or a narrow range of focus. I had seen this mentioned as a problem that others have had when I looked on the Yahoo Nexstar group and suggestions have included sticking a rubber washer type thing on the focus knob to increase the sensitivity. This is something I've yet to try. One other thing I don't like is that the motors are a bit noisy, certainly compared to my pal's CPC11. It's not like they cause a great racket, and I don't think they'll keep my neighbours awake, it's just my expectations were higher. Another issue is that Celestron don't make a flexible dew shield in the 6" size, but I eventually tracked one down from scopes and skies that seems to do the job (but note that the attachment bar means that you have to cut out a bit to make a snug fit). The things i like the most is the portability. My missus is not happy about the spare bedroom being cloggged up with telescopes, but it's not a problem as I can very easily pack it away every night (keep the box the OTA comes in, is my advice). I've just had a weekend up north, just outside Oban, and could enjoy unpolluted skies, as it was so easy to pack everything into the car and set up only takes 15 minutes max. BTW, the views of galaxies were great. I was like a kid in a sweetshop. M81, M82, M51, the Leo triplet, M31 and both companion galaxies, etc, etc. All of them were obvious under dark skies, less so in my back garden. Overall, I'm happy with it. Despite some minor problems with power and focus, it does what I want it to do.

As for the Revelation EP set. This includes 6 EP's 6, 10, 12, 15, 20 and 32mm's as well as 6 colour filters, all in a solid aluminium box and all for 99 quid (less with FLO discount). I honestly think this is a bargain buy. They feel nice and substantial and suggest quality. It's great to have a set with a solid box that has space for adding stuff of your own (I bought a Tal 2X barlow and the Baader light pollution filter, as well and these fit in). The range means I can play with different powers before deciding where to invest when I want to upgrade. I haven't used the colour filters yet, so can't comment on them. However, I did try the moon filter, and like others have said, I don't think this is dark enough. My only other quibble would be that the 32mm doesn't seem parfocal with the rest of the set. I wonder if others who have the set have found this?

I'd welcome comments on what I've said, particularly from others who've used either the telescope or EP set. I'm still toying with the idea of attending the SGL spring star party, so people would be very welcome to have a go with the set-up if I did.

Cheers, Martin

Sounds like you got the problems sorted, dodgy power is always a prime suspect when thinks go awry with mounts... :D

I'm a bit worried about this part though.......

My missus is not happy about the spare bedroom being cloggged up with telescopes, but it's not a problem as I can very easily pack it away every night (keep the box the OTA comes in, is my advice).

You're talking about the scope not your wife? :D

Thanks for the review

I too am thinking of the 6SE, later in the year (40th Birthday)

What are the connectors on the power lead ?

I already have a "Power tank" type thingummyjig that has jump leads on it etc, its 12v so that should be ok just the only port on it is the cigarette lighter type from inside a car.

would rather not have to buy Celestrons own instead

Cheers again

Nice review Martin seems like you've got the best scope (ie one thats going to be used). I to have the revelation eyepiece kit, it certainly is a bargin I've found all the eyepieces to be very good, and I agree with you about the moon filter, it could do with being a shade darker but its not a major problem.

Darren

Redregie asked

What are the connectors on the power lead ?

I already have a "Power tank" type thingummyjig that has jump leads on it etc, its 12v so that should be ok just the only port on it is the cigarette lighter type from inside a car.

would rather not have to buy Celestrons own instead

I got the lead from Astronomiser.co.uk and it has a connection for a cigar socket on one end and a DC 2.1mm centre positive connector on the other. Celestron make them and predictably they're £13 whereas the astronomiser version is £7. Follow the link below to view the cables.

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/pwrhbx.htm#cpwr

Cheers, Martin

Redregie

Don't worry about it. IMO that's what these reviews are for and it's all the fiddly bits, like the power lead, that you only hear about from others that have had to deal with it.

Cheers, Martin

Archived