SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First star trails pic

Had a go at shooting star trails for the first time the other night - 16 x 5 min exposures @f5 IS0 400 on a 45mm lens and stacked in PS.

I'm quite happy with the results but won't leave such a long gap between exposures next time to get smoother trails - maybe 3 sec instead of 10...

Any tips for next time would be very welcome. :)

post-18666-13387765739_thumb.jpg

Looks great Jon... I use a different setup... Camera to continuous shooting, ISO800, 30 seconds, about f/4 and lock the button on the remote shutter release. Either when, the battery has run out, the card is full or the clouds move in, stop the camera. Download and stack all the images in startrails (or starstax on the mac, although I've not had a chance to try that one yet.

Cracker of an image Jon,lovely colours and a realy good composition.

Chimney silhouettes make a great foreground for this type of shot.

I use one of those intervalometer thingies(about £20 in fleabay) in bulb mode so i can get longer than 30 seconds which quite often is needed to illumnate a foreground,especially if there is no moonlight.Wouldnt be without mine,just set the time,how many you want and no gap in between each shot and leave it to do its thing.This is when i usually lie back,look up and listen to Pink Floyd for a hour os so....heaven:D

Thanks for the feedback guys. Next time there'll be no gaps.

Stewart - yes, I've got one of those. Brilliant things and incredibly good value compared to the Canon version. In total agreement about Pink Floyd too!

forgot to add but your probably doing it already...

Disable in camera noise reduction (especially long exposure) and take a few darks...

Startrails can then use these in the processing... the foreground can be ceated form an average of a number of the first frames in the file list (this number can be adjusted) if you want any detail in there just take a few frames at twilight and "paint" the stars out of the sky...

Peter...

Thanks Peter.

Good advice re. darks. I didn't take any and now wish I did.

I do a lot of night photography (non-astro) and never use the in-camera noise reduction. To be honest, I don't know anyone who does...

Well done again Jon, Great composition and the chimney silhouette contrasts really good with the star trails. I can see this image on the cover of a story book.

Have been away from SGL for the summer, I think this one will tempt me back.

Archived