Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bright light in sky now! Liverpool area.

PNB

Hi folks. Can anyone help me identify the bright light- sometimes appearing as two that is hanging in the north of the sky at the moment in the Liverpool area?

It's very odd. Not moving and about the size of a star, sometimes splitting into two.

Any ideas?

Paul.

I thought it was an aircraft at first there are Liverpool and Manchester airports and I quite often see planes on various approach angles and various heights etc so I'm quite sure it wasn't. It also appeared to be stationary.

At least three planes went past. Could well have been bit it was so so strange the way it appeared to split into two at times.

Scope is now set up and I'm just waiting for this cloud to vanish to see if it reappears and I can get a visual on it.

Strangest thing I've ever seen. Like a double star in the middle of the day.

Ahhhh.... now Mercury is well ahead of the sun at the moment on the ecliptic - that would stand out like a sore thumb if the sun was beneath clouds or just below the horizon not fully risen. Are you sure it was due north from your position? :)

The clouds have come in good and proper now. Levying me with a scope up in garden looking daft.

It was definitely. North. Probably nort north east in the vicinity of where rastaban would be if it was now dark.

Gutted it didn't Dawn on me to grab scope For the ten mins I was gawping at it.

Probably a HAP or similar science experiment. Balloons for X-ray astronomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia High-altitude platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia High-altitude balloon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If the cargo is heavy or expensive I would assume they would use 2 balloons as a fail safe which would explain why they seemed to split. I guess either the cargo or the materials used in the balloon could be reflecting sun light being so high up. The reason for it not moving again at a guess it was trapped in turbulence maybe ???? Either way when you spend as much time looking at the sky as astronomers do you will soon find there are all sorts of things going on up there. I came across a piece of space junk a few months ago thought to be an old rocket body. http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/147499-astronomers-see-strangest-things.html

• 2 weeks later...

hehe, i remember a while back seeing weird things moving around in the hours just after dusk. Some were moving faster than others, some splitting and rejoining, some moving in formations of 4-5... They were all REALLY small pinpoints of light, no flashing or flickering, no noise...

Turned out to be Chinese lanterns :(

Archived