All new Trunk in the 115.

ollypenrice

Just out of curiousity I did an alternative Elephant Trunk to the one posted earlier. This was done in the Altair Astro 115 in HaRGB,

12 hours in all, and processed more conventionally with heavier Ha. The AA115 has a shorter FL at 805 compared with the TEC at 980. I daresay I'll play about and combine them at some point but here we go for now. This was done on the iOptron IEQ45 mount which ticked away very happily but, unfortunately, it isn't bolted down here and the PA has had a nudge, probably while doing solar in the day.

Olly

AA115-E-TRUNK-NEB-X2.jpg

mmmm, another fine image to add onto it's profile, I do wish the weather clears up for a few days at least I can do some Ha imaging with the 115... Send some over Olly.

Nadeem.

Nothing doing tonight, though everyone is cooked from a run of all nighters. We've been watching lightening flashing over the mountains to the south east. Beautiful!

Olly

Lovely image there Olly! Another one of my favorite objects captured beautifully! Is that a triple star to the top of the image you have managed to split there Olly? It's little details like that, that make a good image great. I wouldn't have spent the time to make sure that all 3 stars where visible :) it would have just been one big blob!

Clear Skies

Matt.

Lovely image there Olly! Another one of my favorite objects captured beautifully! Is that a triple star to the top of the image you have managed to split there Olly? It's little details like that, that make a good image great. I wouldn't have spent the time to make sure that all 3 stars where visible :) it would have just been one big blob!

Clear Skies

Matt.

It is, Matt. I did a stretch just for that one and pasted it over the top then did the usual Ps abracadbra to blend it in. Same with the not-quite-split double further down the trunk.

Olly

Hi Olly,

perfect image, but I feel those Ha heavy objects that turn out very red are better off being represented with a more "pink" shift, I feel it brings out more detail and some guys on the dutch forum seem to think this as well. (I can't distinct the fine details in a nebula when it's red)

Here an example of what I mean ...

Ha-30mixedinred-small.jpg

Yes, I can see the case for the more pink Ha treatment but I have one of those already and wanted a change. I also wanted star colour which is hard to preserve in the pink - so to speak! In a widefield of the whole 1396 nebula I'd go for the pink every time because that's the target. But this time I was after the spooky rim of the Trunk and its mysterious feel.

Olly

Archived