Viewing through a Skywatcher 200P

Hello all,

I recently bought a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P scope and had my first 'test run' last night. (For specs see link here)

Whilst I was massively blown away by how many stars I could see compared to the naked eye and through my ancient Tasco scope I do have a few queries as to what I can expect to see through my new 200P.

From reading reviews on this site (and elsewhere) I am under the impression I could see other galaxies etc through the 200P. Is this possible as the scope is? I use a number of iPhone apps to help me locate constellations/stars/deep sky objects etc, but everything seemed to appear as a star (dot of light) when I looked last night.

I observe mainly at home, which is surrounded by 2/3 street lights (but they are avoidable), so would I be better off getting some light pollution filters? I am also close enough to Salisbury plain to take advantage of some seriously dark skies, so would this improve my deep sky viewing?

Also, would anyone with a 200P say that buying additional eye pieces would be a good idea for better viewing?

Sorry if I've posted any astro-vocabulary faux pas or I'm covering ground you are already sick of repeating to newbies!

Thank you for your time,

David

Hello David.

Your 200P is capable of showing dozens of galaxies. The main requirement for success is as dark a sky as possible, these objects are faint by any standards and will not look like pictures you may have seen. You will be best using low power wide field eyepieces for many of them, the Orion Nebula, M42, will be the most impressive as it comes into view over the next few months. Finally, there is no substitute for experience, your eye will soon train to see more. :)

As you have the option to try out a dark site so easily I'd suggest that as the first thing to do.

At home the light pollution filters would be a good idea for those quick setup & view sessions.

Depending on what you want to view the next options involve spending, if you are any good at diy you may want to make a Bahtinov mask to aid focussing.

For lunar & planetary and basic imaging you may then need a barlow lens, a webcam (look for SPC900 references here) and perhaps new eyepieces depending on budget.

If you check your area for local astro clubs it may help you get a better idea of what people use and for what results before you damage your wallet.

BTW, I can recommend the SW 32mm Panaview to go with the 200P for low power, a cracking EP for this scope. General recommendation: stick to wide angle and good eye-relief as you have a fast scope there, like mine.

Hi David

I would second the "get out on Salisbury Plain" suggestion.

It is one of my favorite (reasonably near) places to observe from.

I often drive from S London to the plain to take advantage of the dark skies there.

If it wasn't worth doing trust me I would stay nearer home.

Regards Steve

Hi, I also had the same questions a while back, this thread here on how I got on

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/142248-nebulae-what-can-i-see-8-inch-dob.html

Basically I have the same scope and also have some of the worst light pollution in the country. I originally thought it was bad collimation, but my collimation in retrospect was actually spot on. Problem is looking in the right place.

It takes time, but the week just gone something has clicked, and I've managed to everal faint fuzzies, the light pollution last night was terrible, but i still managed to see a few messier objects. IMO the easiest messier to find is the orion nebulae, but you need to be up in the early morning to see orion right now.

In dark skies you can see andromeda with the naked eye, but for me, with the telescope in bad light pollution, andromeda appears as a smudge of light, as does other faint fuzzies. This is robably how you will see thigns as well. Apart frm galaxies there are things to see, such as tightly packed star clusters that look great in bad light pollution, every clear night is a new challenge..

I wouldn't worry about any eyepieces yet, I still use the two it came with, I only use the 25mm (its not that bad tbh), most viewing will be low powered anyway. I instead bought a telrad and wixey which realy did help.

Archived