NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade 5000 127mm from USA ?

Hi

I can see the temptation of buying from the USA I have done this on eyepieces

so what you say is the scope is £1700:00 here and £1220:00 in USA now first you must pay VAT @20% that's £244:00 then handling charges on that about £25:00 to £30:00 by Customs then postage, now that can be with insurance $170,00 and postage ,You may save £30.00 on those prices in this case I would buy here, I got my scope from Telescope House and had it in my hands in 3 days and in good shape

If First light optics do it then get it there they have good prices PS the postage is a guess as I paid $73:00 for a eyepiece so a scope will be a hell of a lot more

clear skies

Doug

Essex

I have enough baggage allowance to bring it back on the plane with me as checked luggage. So I guess I would only be liable for vat and import duty(?). My main worry would be damage by airline handlers and support if there any problems with the scope. But I'd save £460! Arrgh!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.176212,-115.293134

I have enough baggage allowance to bring it back on the plane with me as checked luggage. So I guess I would only be liable for vat and import duty(?). My main worry would be damage by airline handlers and support if there any problems with the scope. But I'd save £460! Arrgh!

---

I am here: Google Maps

I have known airline companies who will allow a scope as carry on luggage/special luggage. Contact them beforehand and see what they offer. A colleague of mine once had a Celestron C8 OTA as hand luggage :rolleyes:, at no extra cost :). Of course, the C8 only weighs in at 4.7 kg, but still, it is a big fat monster.

Also be aware that if you buy a Meade in the USA, your warrenty doesnt cover you if you are in Europe if anything goes wrong.

(Enjoying Vegas, are you? :rolleyes: )

Unfortunately I am only $1.30 up on the slot machine in the hotel, so I will have to try poker tonight to win enough extra funds. I have a sure fire winning system, so I'm sure I'll get enough! Or maybe not.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.174869,-115.291249

Doug with respect to your calculation, Import Duty is calculated from the total of Goods + Shipping + Insurance. VAT is charged on the the total of goods + shipping + insurance + Import Duty. Yes, a tax is being calculated on top of another tax - sheer madness! It doesn't alter your point that you made that it's not worth doing, I wanted to make the point that it is even worse. :rolleyes::D

James

Doug with respect to your calculation, Import Duty is calculated from the total of Goods + Shipping + Insurance. VAT is charged on the the total of goods + shipping + insurance + Import Duty. Yes, a tax is being calculated on top of another tax - sheer madness! It doesn't alter your point that you made that it's not worth doing, I wanted to make the point that it is even worse. :rolleyes::D

James

surprised they stop there, why not tax him for gambling in Vegas and take a slice of his winnings? :)

I've owned the 127 and am now using a loaned Altair Astro 115. I liked the Meade but to be honest the 115 eats it for breakfast as an imaging scope. Better control of star haloes, flatter field. Better focuser. Just a thought and strictly speaking off topic, I know.

Olly

I've bought from the USA many times, saved myself a packet!. Only been collared a few times for import tax, but its worth paying it when the right deal has been made. Never be affraid to give USA suppliers a ring and discuss before you buy. Sure there are some restricted items, but its all about the deal.

Go for it!

Rob

Thanks for the advice guys. Last day today to decide. I read Ollys review of the AA and I think it was my first choice before seeing this bargain. However, have read a few reports of unboxing that indicated there could be some quality control issues. I'll probably wimp out and get the AA eventually. PS what are the scopes that use the Meade optics?

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.174869,-115.291223

The tube is manufactured by Jinghua.

You can find it branded by Explore Scientific, Telescope Service, Kepler by Optique Unterlinden (that's the cheapest option as far as I know) ...

I'm not sure that "cheapest" is the best thing to look for in a triplet apochromat :rolleyes:

I'd rather pay a little more to ensure that the scope is properly quality tested before I buy it - or make sure that wherever it is purchased from has a cast iron returns policy.

This is a nice point john and it was already discussed.

My humble opinion is that the brand doesnt make any difference in this case, but the retailer does. So I'd pay a premium for the return policy rather than the brand.

And yes, in my experience I can raccomend the cheapest french option as the service was top notch (they also carry the european Tak service).

Archived