Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need a tripod for my bino's!!!!! any suggestions please

I have just recieved my celestron 15x70 bino's and i knew they would be heavy but thought my arms would cope......... not!!!! i'm in quite a rush to get one suitable for these but on the lowest budget possible.... it would be nice if someone has these binos and has got themselves a tripod or at least no exactly what to look for. iv got under 2 month to get one to make sure they are nice and steady at PSP2011. Please help xxx:icon_scratch:

Get a sturdy tripod and a really good tripod head. quick release heads are OK but beware. i have had an accident and dropped a really nice set of bins when the quick release had not locked correctly but it was my fault i had not put the lock on and had been adjusting the angle of the bins. i just let go and walked away as you should be able to do that and BANG they were on the floor. if you can get a parallelogram mount for them as well it makes SO much difference when observing, but they are expensive to buy.

take the bins to the shop and try them out before you buy, don't do it by site or pictures.

best of luck

Guess it depends on how you like to do your observing.

I like to get comfy and use a manfrotto 055xprob which is a good solid tripod with good height and the centre column can be fed horizontally to put the head off centre so that you can easily use the binos from a seated position beside the tripod it is also good for viewing at the Zenith. I'm currently using it with my 20 x 50's but sure it will be suitable for 15 x 70's. You will also need a head for it.

Like this but I dont have a counter weight I just splay the legs farther.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/152394-lazy-observing-binoculars.html#post1916171

Another tripod which has an offset centre column is the benbo trekker havent used one so unsure if it will handle the 15 x 70's.

Heard of some folks using monopods nice cheap option but isnt going to be as versatile as the above

Or how about forgetting the tripod and build a mirror mount like this...

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-binoculars/76542-binocular-comfort.html

Hi KerryAnn

Thats funny as i've been researching just today into getting bino's while i save up to buy a big scope..

Now i dont know if this genius is a member on here but i found his posts on the cloudyskies forum with details about his homemade bino viewing setup...

U'll soon want to forget tripods...

Check the link for his vid clip...

AMAZING!

I use an ancient camera tripod. It's a bit wobbly but better than nothing. I imagine you could pick one up very cheaply on eBay. The other thing to get is a new tripod adapter. The one that comes with the bins is plastic, and I think it accounts for a lot of the instability.You can pick a reinforced one up from FLO I believe.

hey guys, thanks, i will look at all these later, the horizon 8115 was what i've been looking for but as others have said i need a mount, does anyone no of one that would be compatable with my bino's? want to order as soon as i can as last night i had the brilliant sight of Jupiter and even tho i managed to see 2 of the moons it was very hard balancing myself to keep the bins still for about a 10second look. thanks again x

KerryAnn, for use with your bins the Horizon is all that you will need, I would also agree with Alimac and suggest ordering a metal bracket for holding them, much better then the plastic one that comes with them. I have this set of Celestrons and am sure that the Horizon will be fine for you.

:-( its sooooo hard, as long as my binoculars are stable on whatever tripod i'm not bothered. just need to no which bracket for the horizon one and the same for the red snapper and then i can decide by price if they are both of good quality xx

Archived