NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skytee 2 loose on one side

MortonH

Hi,

I just acquired a used Skytee 2 and there is a bit of play in the right-hand side (the side that takes the counterweight). If everything is tightened there is a little bit of play in altitude. Haven't attached a scope yet so not sure how much of an issue it will be in the real world, but anyone know if there are any adjustments that might resolve it? I have no instructions so no idea if anything on the mount is adjustable.

Thanks

Morton

Sounds like the alt axis adjustment thumbscrew needs tightening. Hopefully whoever had the mount before you didn't over-tighten it and strip the thread.

This thumbscrew is used to adjust the alt position of the dovetail saddle on that side to match the one on the other side.

John

Just to be clear the looseness in altitude is only on one side of the mount so that would rule out the altitude clutch from being the source of the problem.

I still think the problem lies with the adjustment thumbscrew I asked about earlier. Where the end of the screw seats inside the mount may be damaged making it impossible to grip properly. Have you removed the thumbscrew and looked at the end of it to see what shape it's in?

John

Just to be clear the looseness in altitude is only on one side of the mount so that would rule out the altitude clutch from being the source of the problem.

I still think the problem lies with the adjustment thumbscrew I asked about earlier. Where the end of the screw seats inside the mount may be damaged making it impossible to grip properly. Have you removed the thumbscrew and looked at the end of it to see what shape it's in?

John

Not yet, but I will when I get home from work (I'm in Australia, so it's lunch time here!)

But just to be clear, the altitude is 'locked' but there is a little wiggle up and down without much force being applied. It's probably minor enough that it wouldn't be noticeable in normal viewing (haven't actually attached a scope and observed yet) but I'd like to eliminate it if possible. The other side has no play whatsoever and feels incredibly solid.

Morton

Hi,

I have the same problem on my Sky Tee. If you hold both

ends, when I move the weight end I can feel the movement

goes right through to the vertical clamp side. Although the

movement is apparent on the weight side the problem is actually

at the vertical clamp side. I have not found a way to rectify

the movement and was considering asking the supplier for

help, but have not got that far.

mijijim

• 7 months later...

hello,

i know this is an old thread but it popped up as i had the same problem, now resolved.

the problem is that the bar and top clamp have some play in them even when the axis is locked and screw is tight.

so i found the problem, there is a black tube inside which was lose.

take the white end off by losening the two screws and unscrewing the end.

then pull the bar and glamp section off the same side.

then tighten the screws that were under the clamp and put all back on and there you go :-)

• 2 weeks later...
hello,

i know this is an old thread but it popped up as i had the same problem, now resolved.

the problem is that the bar and top clamp have some play in them even when the axis is locked and screw is tight.

so i found the problem, there is a black tube inside which was lose.

take the white end off by losening the two screws and unscrewing the end.

then pull the bar and glamp section off the same side.

then tighten the screws that were under the clamp and put all back on and there you go :-)

I have just discovered the same problem with mine.

Being a bit thick here do you mean the 3 little bolts with allan heads. if so what size are they as I have tried various allan keys and none seem to fit. If not where are the screws and what do they look like.

Thank you.

• 4 months later...

Had some spare time this pm listening to the footy on the radio, so decided to boldly fix this blindly which is'nt usually something I'm competent at :grin:

For the benefit of others like me who have'nt got a clue, some pics below :smiley:

I unscrewed the 2 grub screws.

post-11319-0-93372400-1346517751_thumb.j

Then loosened the 3 allen screws, 1 shown in the pic fully loosend. Then gently unscrewed the end white cap.

post-11319-0-18754000-1346517773_thumb.j

The saddle unit comes off as below

post-11319-0-50906900-1346517791_thumb.j

post-11319-0-58484900-1346517802_thumb.j

There are 3 allen screws on the black bar as pic below. 1 of mine was quite loose and the other 2 just needed a slight tweak.

post-11319-0-10470900-1346517818_thumb.j

Once all put back together, the play was completely fixed.....phew :grin:

Only issue I had was that when putting the saddle unit back on, there was a double sided stickly tape type ring on one side (see 4th pic) and I had no idea which side it was meant to be on! I guessed it would be on the outer side facing the white end cap but not 100% sure......anybody know for sure?

The original play was'nt that bad but was becoming a nuisance as I'd target an object then when locking the alt clutch it would drop the scope when releasing it, requiring a recentre using the finder and slo-mo knob.

Just need some clear skies now.......

• 5 months later...

I think the ED120 was just too heavy for the top saddle, not had an issue since mounting only on the side saddle.

Only problem with the frac on the side saddle is the low EP position, was going to order a custom extension as the standard one seems a bit too long and heavy for my needs. The chap from Astrotec (?) does'nt appear to be operating anymore, so if anyone knows of others?

• 1 month later...

Only issue I had was that when putting the saddle unit back on, there was a double sided stickly tape type ring on one side (see 4th pic) and I had no idea which side it was meant to be on! I guessed it would be on the outer side facing the white end cap but not 100% sure......anybody know for sure?

This appears to be a nylon washer covered in grease - not double sided tape :) it will help the mount rotate without binding, just ensure you still have one each side. FYI the astrotec guy appears to have changed business name but appears trading still.....http://www.astrotecuk.co.uk/extensions.html

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the link jam1e1, I did a search and voila the link answers two of my requirements (height and colour options), now I just need to find a link to an adjustable height extension.

Cheers,

Archived