My new scope :)

I have finally got my Skymax 127 mounted! Originally I had a Skyhawk 1145p on the Alt Az Synscan Goto mount but sold that OTA, and have been waiting for tube rings since. Anyway they finally arrived and I think it looks pretty good on the colour matched mount, fingers crossed for clear skies tonight :)

Yea I have been working nights and seen the clear skies so been itching to get out there! My aim tonight is to image Jupiter and see what the Mak can do. Dielectric diagonal is on my shopping list and a few more BST exporers.

Very good!!! I remember when I bought my new scope a few months ago. Was very excited. In hindsight I probably bought it at the wrong time of year (Spring-Summer), so apart from there being little darkness the clouds usually put the skids on things, so I am currently wishing the remainder of the summer away so I can get some serious scope time in.

Hi,

So far it has been great although due to various things outside my control or that of the scopes I haven't had much time with it. That said when I have been outside with it it has performed well. Being a newbie I do need more time with it, but that wil happen in time. I do love the fact that it is fully automatic as it makes things easier. The Barlow was a good purchase as well. What are you doing to power the scope? If you haven't already done so I would suggest a powertank to drive the scope otherwise it will eat AA batteries very quickly. The 3 in 1 powerpack from Maplins is the one that I use and many others from SGL do the same as it is vastly cheaper than the telescope manufacturere own versions.

Nice looking set up, should be good on planets.

I'm thinking of replacing my 130 Newt OTA for a Mak to make things more portable,

But like said above you should invest in a power tank, when i first had my GOTO i ran it on batteries in the power pack that came with it and after about 2 3hrs sessions i needed new ones!

Congratulations on a good looking scope and its a great scope to use as well. I trust you have a dew shield to slide onto the front of the scope? If not, you can always make one using a Tesco camping mat cut to size to form a tube and held using sticky tape. You could use cardboard etc but the dew will soon turn this into a soggy mess hence the use of the foam matting. This will certainly help you to prolong your viewing time.

Clear skies James

(...Don't know what the colours are and whether you can find something to match the set up :) )

Hi guys. In answer to how I power the scope, I bought an external power supply meant for cctv cameras. Its weatherproof and has an output of 12v at 2 amps so perfect for my needs, plus it was only around 12 quid.

I am fairly impressed with the scope so far, and got all set up late last night. I could easily see the banding on Jupiter using my 8mm BST Explorer, and was just as I was about to start giving the webcam a go when the cloud rolled in! Typical huh?

I had the same problem, but just removed the RDF shoe and moved using D Sided tape to the top! Great scopes and wow views of Jupiter with a 5mm Planetery EP!

Nice set up, hope you enjoyed last nights clear sky!

Archived