Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Travelling with 8" Dob- advice

Vicky

I'm off for a few days to a remote cottage with very dark skies and have persuaded my travelling companion to bring the skywatcher dob with us :)

So I'm thinking wrapped OTA on the back seat of the car with seatbelts around somehow and base in the boot. Anyone got any advice?

Clear skies

Vicky

I'm a bit nervous as I haven't collimated as yet- will take my bobs knobs to install (and link to Astrobaby's collimation guide, if I can find it) if I need to. I was hoping to wait but as you suggest Pat, I may need to.

But hoping it will be worth it- I'm leaving the clouds at home :D

Thank-you guys :)

I'd suggest having a dry-run at collimating, if you have time before you leave.

Personally, when I take my scope "to the country" I like to have a white sheet under it - I usuallu use a space blankt as they're light and waterproof, if rather delicate. That way anything that drops off is going to land on the sheet and not in the middle of a puddle of mud (as usually happens to me, otherwise). It also means that even if you can't find the part then, when you gather up the sheet you can be sure it's in there somewhere.

That is just how I travelled with my 10" Dob and never had a problem with it...it never even needed any serious collimation after travelling either....much easier now though...I swapped it for a Celestron 127 Mak !!!...clear skies to you.

Archived