Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M27 with Bins

Coco

Last night was an absolute wonderful opportunity in Lancashire to do some astronomy, I set my scope and camera up for an imaging run and pulled the sunbed out of the garage ready to Observe with the bins..

M31.. then NGC 869 Double Cluster ..back eastward M52 .. and across through the MW.. finally finding M56 near Albireo (check also ) half way to Lyra (Vega) .. then down to M71.. couldnt find it, my breathing was bouncing my Russian 10x40 something badly.. :D

OK... I'm imaging M27 so lets have a look... wait... can it be.... are my eyes deceiving me? There it was... M27! not only just but quite amazingly obvious! :(

Feeling decidedly smug I settled on the Coathanger cluster to relax my concentration and steady my arms... what a beautiful site... the straight lined stars look like they have no place in the night sky :D I'll always make a point to visit it as often as possible..

On to M13 and then North to M92...

Superb night.... I checked the time and noted the clouds were starting to cover South, how was the imaging? terrible! ... according to the images recorded I'd lost 6 x 10min subs due to dewing! :)

One thing that wasn't wasted was the pleasure of observing... :)

Clear Skies!

Hi Guy get a parallelogram saves on the arms!!!!

Regards

Mike

Mike since marvelling over your parallelogram's at Carlisle 1 & 2 ive been looking for the observation bins second hand, once I find a pair I'll buil the arms.. In the mean time today at work knocked up a make do.. :)

Hope to see you next week but sadly it may not be..

Great report :)

The coathanger is one of my favourites nice and big and it's not often you see that many stars in what looks like a perfect line with a little hook on it with differing colour stars in it.

It's well visited with my 80mm refractor :D

You lucky begger. The sky around fife was cloudless around 2130 hrs last night so I stuck the tripod bins and skycharts in car and set off 20 miles to my dark site with the hope of some great viewing. By the mine I got there the cloud from the East was coming thick fast and I was just finding the odd star and was unable to identify anything. I managed about an hour lying on the car bonnet observing between clouds at the zenith (Was that NGC 7789 or 7654 i could see through my 20 x 50's ?) before it was all gone and I was reduced to chasing the moon in and out the cloud for another half hour to justify my trip. Anyhow I'm be sure to check the weather for cloud before I go dashing off in the future. :)

Haven't had any luck with M57 though despite repeated trying, even with it high up.

What binoc are you using? At x10, unless you have superb optics and sky conditions, it looks stellar and is therefore difficult to identify.

Archived