Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Balancing a C8 SCT

With a 2inch diagonal fitted and my 38mm 2 inch eyepiece in place I'm finding that my fork mounted C8 has gone from slightly back heavy (managable) to very back heavy (rather awkward at times). Obviously if I add some weight to the front end of the tube it would counteract this - I am interested to find out what measures other members who use SCT scopes have taken to deal with this. I have a flexible dew shield which adds some weight but nowhere near enough.

Thanks.

John.

Arthur at Ambermile sorted me out although I need to get a lighter weight from him. Of course you can always make your own weight by mixing some sand and epoxy in an old sock and securing it all with velcro - save yourself £100!

I resorted to buying extra pairs of tube rings and using ONE "in reverse" to attach a bit o' slide-able(!) ballast. Although (maybe?) "discontinued", BC&F / AstroEngineering "AC113 Additional Weights" (do a web search): Set of 3 x 1lb for ~ £15, are rather convenient. Bang some dowell into the central holes and drill e.g. M6, Whitworth etc. clearance... :D

Thanks for all the ideas folks - I like the low budget ideas as this is only a serious issue when I'm using the 2 inch diagonal and 2 inch eyepiece combination, which is not all the time.

I did wonder about a single tube ring with a weight attached to it - I'll probably look into that.

John

Archived