Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using a Finderscope as a guidescope

malc-c

It's been suggested that I could use the finderscope on my 200p as a guidescope.

I would welcome suggestions of how to use the 9 x 50 straight finder with a Phillips SPC880 (flashed to 900) web cam as I have a few of them laying around.

What software could I use. Obviously the camera will be USB and thus couldn't use the ST4 socket, and I use APT for control of the dslr camera.

Comments welcome

you would need one of the eqdir adapters FLO sell to plug the mount into the laptop and be able to control it via phd the ascom drivers for your mount and an adapter from modern astronomy that allows the webcam to be attached to the finder around £30 for that from memory

Jake

you would need one of the eqdir adapters FLO sell to plug the mount into the laptop and be able to control it via phd the ascom drivers for your mount and an adapter from modern astronomy that allows the webcam to be attached to the finder around £30 for that from memory

Jake

Jake, thanks for the info. I currently use EQMOD with CdC and a self build EQdir cable to control the scope, so I guess I'm half way there already - will check out the webcam connector Modern Astronomy offer

PHD will use the WDM option with the SPC900. You can control the mount via a Synscan handset if that is what you have.

I also have that option (spoiled for choice). Thanks for the PM and I'll check out your suggestions

Well I've just received the adapter from Modern Astronomy to connect the SPC800 (flashed to a 900) webcam to the SW 9x50 Finderscope. The quality of the adapter is fantastic and well worth the £29 I paid. Had to remove the locking ring to get focus, but this was explained in the instruction sheet / guide lines.

All I need now is a reasonably clear night to see how it performs with PHD and hopefully start getting some decent images :)

Very interesting :) I have a cheap 8x50 finderscope and available SPC900 webcam, so when I've got my obsy built and everything set up I shall have a go. Could save me buying an extra scope to use as a guider. I can see some very interesting times ahead :D

I was also thinking of using one of my old M42 camera lenses with an SPC900 as guider. And a lens used with a CCTV image sensor as a visual finder. I'm not as flexible as I was for craning into awkward positions to get my eye to the usual finderscope.

Not wanting to steal the thread but have you seen any example of this?

Ricardo

I have used a range of cheap M42 Telephoto lensed as guidescopes - I have settled on a 500mm f8.0 with a Meade DSI IIc as the guidecam... never had to move it to get a guidestar...

I have also modiified a Celestron Finder to take Cameras with 1.25" fittings but couldn't get it to work well with a Synguider - works fine with the other CCD's I have...

Peter...

Archived