Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC6992: Veil east in narrowband

Uranium235

Last night turned out to be an excellent session. The rain had cleared by 8pm and apart from a 3/4 moon and the occasional gust of wind, there was still plenty on offer (apart from M8, because the moon was right next to it!). Very clear, I could make out the MW overhead but rather cold so its possibly my last outdoor session of the year.

Being that M8 wasnt on the menu for that evening, I had to move to plan B and go for the eastern section of the veil. And as I hadn't put in a good session for a while, I was determined to walk away with something in colour.

NGC6992: Veil nebula (eastern section)

R (Ha_18x300), G&B (OIII_18x300)

ED80 (0.85x), Atik 314L+, CG5-GT

Setpoint: -10

Guiding: Good (when the wind wasn't blowing!)

Thanks for looking :smiley:

Rob

attachment.php?attachmentid=65167&stc=1&d=1312901583

post-18171-133877644428_thumb.jpg

post-18171-133877644437_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys :smiley:

Mark, im pretty sure you can see the veil visually if you use an OIII filter (visual), it should just pop out at you - especially the western section. The east seems to have more Ha than anything else, and possibly needs some long(ish) subs thrown in to bring out the wispy bits.

However, i have since noticed a vertical band on the right ride, I didnt take any flats for this so its something I really need to get round to soon

Cheers guys :smiley:

Mark, im pretty sure you can see the veil visually if you use an OIII filter (visual), it should just pop out at you - especially the western section.

Even with a 3 inch scope?

Thanks for the info :)

Thanks for the info :smiley:

Not sure on an 80mm for visual (best to check in the observing forum), since its rare that I get to do any visual - apart from the Mk1 eyeball while the subs roll in (some good bins would be nice). I was tempted last night though when I saw Jupiter rising in the east, it just sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the stars :)

Thanks for the info :smiley:

Certainly; I see it in a Pronto with 26 Nagler and Baader O111. The entire loop structure fits in the view.

This is a real 'wowzer' of an image which made me jump back from the screen when it opened! The NB has brought out the intertwining of the threads af gas beautifully. Really great stuff.

Olly

Very good image, I am dying to see the veil visually, just need to steal a big scope and some dark skies from someone first! :smiley:

we had the vail in the 16" at pex hill the other week. gave chance to test my OIII out showed very well

Thanks for the positive comments guys :smiley:

Being as its been uber-cloudy since I took this, I thought I would try a Ha only version. There seems to be more Ha than OIII in this part of the veil so I could process the data a bit harder. Ive used the high pass filter on a separate layer blended as overlay to bring out more of the filaments (thanks to roundycat for that method, im using it on everything now!).

attachment.php?attachmentid=65430&stc=1&d=1313176902

Cheers,

Rob

post-18171-133877645781_thumb.jpg

Just a suggestion but a couple of years ago Tom O'D and I spent quite a while on the Veil complex and one of my favourite renditions is monochrome Ha and O111 combined. I'd really urge you to give this a try. You get the B and W contrasts but the info from both filters. You already have all the data so it is only a couple of clicks to see what it brings.

Olly

Archived