Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ7 Preview

Stephen

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some know because they test products for companies and are under NDA's :-) Some know because they are personal friends with dealers who have told them...and some know because they heard it directly from the horses mouth..

...Some know because they are personal friends with dealers who have told them...

Just to give provenance to my previous comment, I overheard the £5-6K number being mentioned at the fair on Saturday between two trade people. Wouldn't be fair to say who, and I was earwigging so wasn't part of the conversation, but I didn't mis-hear. I thought that seemed very high, but it was a reliable source.

6K is a no. I have heard too..but until the spec is finalised and they have fully costed it, It could be anywhere.. I agree though, 6K is still a lot less than the 10K ish for a Paramount, and it's all down to what it can do..

Just to give provenance to my previous comment, I overheard the £5-6K number being mentioned at the fair on Saturday between two trade people. Wouldn't be fair to say who, and I was earwigging so wasn't part of the conversation, but I didn't mis-hear. I thought that seemed very high, but it was a reliable source.

And given there were only two trade stands who carry SW at the event...you don't need to say who :-)

Question is, will it be as good as the AP mounts...or the Paramount...as 5-6K will make them extremely good in that instance..

Only if they dump steppers and go direct drive or servo ;)

Wonder if I can get £30k for a kidney.......Astelco Astelco NTM-500 Direct Drive German Equatorial Mount

Or I'd settle for one of these '>Astrosysteme Austria

If the design point is what I have heard, from a pretty good source, then I expect it would be around 3 to £4K by todays money. As wage and raw material inflation in China is rampant at the mo that can only go upwards unfortunately.

Still I expect it will be a cracking mount if it gets onto the market.

Some know because they test products for companies and are under NDA's :-) Some know because they are personal friends with dealers who have told them...and some know because they heard it directly from the horses mouth..

Ha Ha, exactly Nick ;)

NDA, Would that be the Nuclear Decommisioning Authority or the National Democratic Alliance. Perhaps it is the National Dance Association but I will edge my bets on it being a non-disclosure agreement. Star Gazing Live, Sky at Night and star parties around December and January come to mind too. Keep the reviews coming.

Regards from Dave.

All joking aside I would love to have a 'reasonably' priced heavy duty GEM that does not cost the earth. What is reasonable? As the scope increases in size then so does weight, the mount has to be up to the job. I use a C14 on a beefed up and permanently mounted EQ6.

Whilst this is fine for visual/video observation of the planets and moon, it does fall short for any exposure longer then 30 seconds thus ruling out any quality deep sky imaging. All the heavey duty mounts are, currently, beyond my pocket my conclusion is that you will only drive the lbs (weight) by speding the pounds.

Note to self, I must but a lottery ticket.

Ha Ha, exactly Nick :smiley:

NDA, Would that be the Nuclear Decommisioning Authority or the National Democratic Alliance. Perhaps it is the National Dance Association but I will edge my bets on it being a non-disclosure agreement. Star Gazing Live, Sky at Night and star parties around December and January come to mind too. Keep the reviews coming.

Regards from Dave.

Gracias amigo...National Dance Assoc...:)

Reviews inbound....you'll like the next one :-)

Well if they really are trying to drop a model into the AP/Paramount price bracket, they'll need the engineering to match. If they can do that, then it bodes well for the mount after the EQ7(or 8) as I'd expect a lot of the experience they gained from the high-end product to be back-portable into something mid-way between the EQ7/8 and the EQ6.

The biggest problem then would be what to call it. :smiley:

• 3 months later...
Hang on to your savings and wait for the release of our EQ8 mount to satisfy all and every of your astronomy needs!! :)
Don't have any info about its price yet, but it will be much much better than the CGE Pro.

Ask SkyWatcher :]

I'm looking at 16" 27kg-or-less planetary DK and if CGE Pro would be required... that would be very bad. Maybe EQ8 will cost like EQ6 and would handle this? :)

Archived