SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ7 Preview

Stephen

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've managed to find a picture of what 45kg of telescope looks like.. well.. 42kg but I'm sure the guide scope and cameras make up for the rest. ;)

file_34_45.jpg

Nice kit......shame about the black tape holding stuff to the mount :rolleyes:

RS-232 ??? - Virtually obsolete on modern computers. Why not USB or BlueTooth then you don't need unreliable adaptor cables?

Very simple RS232 is mission critical reliable, USB is pants on the best day.

Looks like a nice hefty piece of kit. Definately aimed at observatory based imaging users- would not fancy moving it very often! I really like the direct drive system- a huge improvement over the EQ6. RS232 controls- nothing wrong with that - all our laser systems use it. I think we have to bear in mind this is a pre-production model, a lot could change before it's release.

I would be interested depending on the price of course- no more than £1.5k worth there I reckon?

Once released there will be few EQ6's for sale too- "only selling to fund new mount". If you don't need the massive payload then hang on for a cheap used EQ6!

I was also glad to hear it. When I first got my EQ6, the noises made me wince, but now I'm used to it, I think I would miss the sounds!

You have obviously never heard a Meade LX or Celestron CGE! Star Parties can be so cruel ;)

I would be interested depending on the price of course- no more than £1.5k worth there I reckon?
Interesting ... My view was that something like this would go after the G11 market, a segment that almost doesn't exist in the UK. If it works as well as a G11, with slightly more carrying capacity I'd hope the price for a GOTO version would be £2½-3k
Once released there will be few EQ6's for sale too- "only selling to fund new mount". If you don't need the massive payload then hang on for a cheap used EQ6!
I'm not sure this would necessarily be a replacement for the EQ6, as its capacity is significantly more - and it's weight would be, too. It would extend the range, rather than replace a model. So the sort of people who would buy this would be the ones who were assembling an altogether bigger rig: bigger 'scope, more accessories and needed a larger (static, non-portable) mount for it.

I suppose time will tell. But I'd expect to wait a year or so before we get any hard information.

Which bit are you not getting? The mount is postponed, that video bears no resemblance at all to what will eventually come out...and the drive system is one of the key changes!

I do not think any one is listening Nick!

Bern (Modern Astronomy) and Steve (Telescope House) have recently confirmed what you have said.

I've managed to find a picture of what 45kg of telescope looks like.. well.. 42kg but I'm sure the guide scope and cameras make up for the rest. ;)

That looks a lot like the Software Bisque Paramount. A nice $14,000 worth...

James

I think synta have played a clever game with this prototype, they know there market, the want some feedback and they have had plenty.

Ill go with a final release price between £2.25k and £2.75k as this could be (final spec) a big upgrade to the HEQ6

You have obviously never heard a Meade LX or Celestron CGE! Star Parties can be so cruel ;)

Sorry what was that? Couldn't hear you over the racket. :rolleyes:

That looks a lot like the Software Bisque Paramount. A nice $14,000 worth...

James

I just heard a rumour that the Paramounts coming into the UK are a bit buggy. Not something I'd like to discover if I'd spent that much on a mount.

I just heard a rumour that the Paramounts coming into the UK are a bit buggy. Not something I'd like to discover if I'd spent that much on a mount.

Indeed not. Not that it's a problem I'm likely to suffer from, even if SCS Astro did have one in the shop last time I was over there...

James

...Ill go with a final release price between £2.25k and £2.75k as this could be (final spec) a big upgrade to the HEQ6

I'd definitely be interested for that price, Earl. Unfortunately the price I've heard floating about recently has been about £5-6K ;)

Nick, in space nobody can hear you scream. ;)

Or: On the Internet, no-one believes 'some bloke on a message board'. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if they go back to the drawing board and produce something interesting (like a mass-market Mesu2 for instance) and price it in the 3K range, they'll sell loads.

Some think they know because they have heard a rumour, others know because they are involved in the trade. It does not take much to work out who knows what is actually going on. We will have to wait and see but save our pennies (lots of) in the meantime.

Archived