NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade EP set on fleabay!....any good??

Th early 4000's were Japanese made, the later ones Chinese. I've owned a few in the past and I seem to recall mine had Meade Super Plossl on them - 4000 was not mentioned. It's a decent set but it's in the USA so bear in mind that you could pay import duty plus handling fees which will add 25% to the cost.

These come up quite often over here so, personally, I would not make a great effort to buy this particular set.

Yeah but - it does include the Orion Shorty Plus Barlow. That's the same Barlow as the Celestron Ultima which on its own sells for £90 at FLO!

I think that changes matters slightly... :eek:

Somehow I suspect the other bidders will have spotted it as well and the end price will reflect that :)

It's a good range of reasonable quality EP's and even if you end up selling them, that excellent Barlow is a keeper (they really are very good). I wouldn't bid much past $100 though, leaving a bit room for import tax and a reasonable delivery charge. Just be wary :)

Hello i am bidding on these maybe my fault why its shot up. the barlow is the £45 version. how much would the set be worth in english pounds to buy? dont wanna pay new prices for it

New they're £200 in the UK when sold as a complete set <here, scroll down>, but that includes a set of filters, and has the Meade Barlow rather than the Orion Shorty.

As you'd expect then, they sell for ~£100 second hand, although the cheapest set I saw was £50 at SGL earlier this year (don't know if it included a Barlow though)

Individually, the eyepieces typically sell for £20-£25 on average (second hand)...

(I've sold a few myself :) )

The Orion Shorty Plus (as in the picture on the ad) is £83 new. The Meade 4000's are £30 / £40 each new. The filter is around £15 I guess plus the case at say £15 so thats £300 plus for all of it if bought new.

Used it's around 60% of that I suppose. You have to factor delivery and possibly import duty / handling fee in to the final price you pay as well.

Barlow Lenses - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

i checked the picture with that i match it to the 45 one? i only want to pay around 80 with postage so i dont think i could afford it now anyway

would of been nice tho

wow, they've shot up! Last time I looked at TH they were £64. They must have increased the price to be more inline with the Ultima, which has been about £94 for ages.

Archived