NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar Alignment (or how to avoid re-doing?)

The actual process of polar alignment, and subsequent fine tuning with drift alignment is well documented throughout the forum.

However, those of us who do not have permanent piers have to do this each and every time we set up.

I was thinking of something along the lines of 3 "cups" into which the tripod legs fit, screwed, drilled or otherwise fixed into my patio (preferably slightly depressed so that they are not a trip hazard).

Would this then allow me to move the mount in & out without labouriously going through re-alignment each time I want to use the scope? I tend to move/store the mount attached to the tripod, so presumably the alt & az bolts would not need re-adjusting each time I reused the scope. I could also then (hopefully) use drift alignment to fine tune the alignment so that I would have better polar alignment than I currently get each night.

Suggestions as to what I could use as "cups" for the tripod legs would be appreciated. Or please feel free to shoot down my inexperienced ramblings.

good evening that is a better idea than mine i use hobo nails and set my tripod up on it but not checked polar alignment yet to see if it works.

ps i notice we have the same scope have you used yours much?

Hi Tony,

I wanted to have something that the footings would positively engage with, rather than just resting on a mark on the patio - thought it would give more consistant positioning that way.

Have managed to get out on a few nights, lovely views of Jupiter and the moon.

Wanting to start imaging, so want to get the alignment correct to allow some longer exposures. Unfortunately not managed to get Saturn yet, too low and below my horizon by the time it gets dark (neighbours fence gets in the way to the west).

that is is good idea it would also stop it slipping if nocked ave you used your spc yet for imagine as iam haveing a few problems with mine started a thread today if you can help me i would be very gratfull.

Hi Mike,

That's a good idea, maybe just use a masonry drill so make holes in the surface that's not quite the full diameter of the nubin at the end of the tripod leg so you get a nice firm fit without getting it stuck or having too much play in the recess.

Hi Mike,

That's a good idea, maybe just use a masonry drill so make holes in the surface that's not quite the full diameter of the nubin at the end of the tripod leg so you get a nice firm fit without getting it stuck or having too much play in the recess.

Doh !! why didn't I think of that?

Perfect solution. will just need to get the holes right first time or the wife will think we have a "super-mice" infestation :)

hi Mike just noticed in your kit description that your upgrading your SPC900 sensor, I'm assuming that's the ccd chip?. Do you know where to pick these up from, I'm thinking of doing the same but for a more sensitive monochrome version.

This link below is from a guy I came across who does some amazing images and most of them with philips webcams, he uses the monchrome for luminance.

Webcam Astrophotography by Emil Kraaikamp - home

not too sure if this would work, but you could super glue metal washers down on the patio least if ya get it wrong youn could adjust after not like a drill hole ? long as the tripod leg fits snug ??

not too sure if this would work, but you could super glue metal washers down on the patio least if ya get it wrong youn could adjust after not like a drill hole ? long as the tripod leg fits snug ??

Another good idea. Wouldn't even need to be superglued, maybe just a "wash" of cement to fasten it down securely.

This is what is so good about this forum.

Loads of suggestions that I simply wouldn't have considered!

Another good idea. Wouldn't even need to be superglued, maybe just a "wash" of cement to fasten it down securely.

This is what is so good about this forum.

Loads of suggestions that I simply wouldn't have considered!

2nd thoughts no nails would work just as good :)

REVISIT:

I eventually went with the washers epoxy'd to the patio.

Tested over the weekend by getting PA on Friday night and succesfully tracking Jupiter through SPC900.

5mins gave a move of about a quarter of the screen.

Close enough for me at the moment. I left the mount set up and grabbed some sleep.

I then (on Saturday morning) carefully raised each leg in turn and slipped a washer under each foot (I'd sized the washers beforehand to let the feet sit tightly inside the holes), then drew round the washers with an HB pencil before moving the tripod away.

Then epoxy'd the three washers to the patio positioning each washer back using the pencil marks as a guide.

Set up again on Saturday night, positioning the feet of the tripod inside the washer holes, fitted perfectly (good start!).

Tracking jupiter again gave same quarter screen movement over 5 mins tracking.

Result! can start think about doing some drift alignment now and hopefully be able to retain the PA over a couple of nights without having to leave equipment set up.

Archived