Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unplanned Comet Garradd

I had a very frustrating time last night where everything went wrong. My original intention was to image the N.America nebula with my 200mm Canon lens. Unfortunately it was too near the zenith so instead I had a look for the comet. It was very clear in my Celestron 9.25" SCT with 30mm eyepiece, much to my surprise, so decided to have a go at imaging it. The guiding camera would not talk to the computer and to cut a long story short, I finally turned everything off and started again. It was well past 2 am when I started successfully taking the first sub image. I managed 8 x 5 minutes with bits of cloud drifting across until finally it totally clouded up. One of the images had a satellite trail right across the comet so that was missed out. As it was getting rather late I didn't have time to guide on the head of the comet as it wasn't visible in the FOV of the guide scope so guided on a star.

I am quite happy with this as a first image of this comet, but it isn't quite in focus and I would have liked many more subs.

Dave

post-14654-133877638251_thumb.jpg

Well done Dave for toughing it out to the wee small hours, I spent about an hour trying get the infrared remote for my DSLR working on the bulb setting last night by which time the clouds had rolled in,lets hope for some more clear skies before it gone.....thats astronomy for you!

Very good looking comet. I will try also next night, it's clear now. Only problem is that sky will not be dark here. At saturday SQM shows 16.4.. not even near to call dark. But i will try anyway, lets see what i can find there.

Archived