Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Moon, the whole Moon and nothing but the Moon....

It seems that everyone else is able to get a single shot of the Moon using the same scope as me (SW SM127) and Canon DSLR or Samsung NX10 EVIL Camera at Prime Focus.

One suggestion was that my nose piece was too long but I am using a stubby one just as everyone else uses.

So can someone please end my frustration and tell me how to get a whole moon shot without using ICE to produce a mosaic image from two or more shots just like others are apparenty able to do.

just to rub salt into the wound, heres my first full moon shot from last night, with dslr prime focus and 200p. coincidentally it was a full moon rather than crescent as well, but for a long time i hadonly been able to image small parts of the moon with the neximage camera, even with a reducer.

no where near as sharp as i would liek it but will have baht mask soon and will leanr to use gimp properly :)

post-25906-133877634728_thumb.jpg

Rik how do you get so much space around your image? I tried a test last night and sure enough I got my single shot but had a devil of a job to get the Moon in the frame and keep it there. Yours looks like it has loads of space around it.

I don't really know. I fit the camera exactly as as you see in Paul's pictures (#6). My image is cropped a bit as well. It could be full height and I just squared it off, but I can't remember. I have been looking for a full sub for comparison, but I can't find one.

I don't like my Skymax for DSLR imaging. Actually I don't like it that much at all. I only keep it because it is so small and portable. I have had a couple of goes at webcam imaging but the resolution has been rubbish. I have to use a barlow to get the resolution to the point where I am happy with it, but then I would need to do a 24 pane mosaic to get the whole moon done. To get something I would really happy with I would need to put my 250 on an EQ6 with a DFK31/41. That will be some time way in the future. I'm not that interested in planetary imaging.

Archived