Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equipment suggestions

Hi all,

I'm new to this site but not relatively new to astronomy, I've had 2 telescopes before but didn't take much notice in what they were (But that's another thread).

What I am asking is, I want a telescope I can control with my PC and view the image seen by the telescope on the PC. Whats the best equipment to use, I am estimating a budget of around £3k.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Needn't cost anywhere near £3K. There's a thread running about the Samsung video camera that can show live views of deepsky objects. It only costs £89.

The HEQ5 Syntrek can be controlled via a PC and only costs £590. It will take a huge array of different scopes. But you could buy it with an 8" newtonian and that would get the job done.

Possibly all setup for a third of your budget.

But if you decided to blow the budget you would have a lot of options. That's a great budget.

Hi pooky, with a budget of up t £3k you have plenty of options!. I think you will recieve some good tips on what to consider.

I am only interested in visual astronomy so am not able to advice what kit to buy but I wish you luck with your choice.

For what its worth I have a Celestron cpc 925 and have controlled it with my Canon 1000D via the computer. This sort of kit is not ideal for imaging though a lot of people with sct's have been using web cams which have given some great results on imaging of solar sytem objects.

Clear Skies :)

Nice amount of money to play with but I suggest that you locate a club in your area:

Derby & District Astronomical Society

Ilkeston & District Astronomical Society

White Peak Astro. Obs. Group

Pay them a visit if within reach and have a look at what is used and ask for suggestions and see what is being used.

My concern is that people will happily tell you what to buy, but that is based of their experience, preferences and what they find suits them. What they like yoiu may not get on with and it is your money.

The CPC is a nice scope and can be controlled as you want, so can the Meade's, a club near me uses Meades with PC guidance, camera's and projection to screens or on the PC screen.

Really little between the Celestron and Meades, they both perform similar roles. But which would find easier to set up and use? Nexus would I guess say Celestrons, I prefer Meades.

• 6 months later...

I've recently been taking another look at what's available and it's really confusing, with all the different numbers relating to something about the scope. Also, I don’t know whether to go for one of those 'stubby' scopes or one of the other 'long' types. Which is the best type?

What I want is one I can control with my PC (Linux Ubuntu), I have got Stellarium and found it can control a 'Go-To' Telescope. I am also looking at a couple of options of displaying what the telescope sees on my PC, either a CCD, webcam or digital camera.

I presume the CCD and digital camera options will be limited to SW comparability. I do have a TV Card fitted but I am unable to get it working properly.

There's really no one right answer here. Mostly it's down to what works for you and what you want out of using a telescope.

Initially I think you have to decide what sort of imaging you want to do. Many of the images you'll see on this site are the product of (sometimes tens of) hours of work and imaging time. Planetary imaging has different demands from DSO imaging. On the other hand, if you're after a live view of the sky you may need to research the camera side of things first as many just aren't sensitive enough for "real time" use and how you'd like to do things may mean that some choices of scope/mount are better than others.

As a general rule, telescopes with longer focal lengths are often used for high magnification of planets and shorter focal lengths for viewing DSOs, but just because something has a long focal length doesn't mean it will be a long telescope. The different designs have their advantages and disadvantages for different applications, but when choosing a design personal bias and practical issues such as weight, ease of storage and so on also figure highly.

James

Planetary imaging has different demands from DSO imaging. On the other hand, if you're after a live view of the sky you may need to research the camera side of things first as many just aren't sensitive enough for "real time" use and how you'd like to do things may mean that some choices of scope/mount are better than others.

James

DSO ?

Planetary imaging compared to live view ? Whats the difference, theyre both of an image of 'out there'

All I'm really after is one that can take a really good image of far distance objects with really good detail. I remember having a 6" Dobsonian a little over 20 years ago. It gave a good image (it was 4' long) but the only thing I didn’t like about it was it was not computer controlled and free moving, unlike a Newtonian.

What exactly is the difference with those types of scopes that are about 12" compared to one that is about 3'-4'. Which is better at magnification, I'd guess due to refraction the longer one.

Also, what's the Linux compatability like re the scope SW and display of CCD image on PC

You want to take images DSO's "Deep Sky Objects", so a good mount would be a NEQ6 around £950, i use a SW 250 P DS that's a 10" Reflector £400, there are Refractors that do the job but i don't have one or have used one so somebody else will need to give that info. You will need Autoguiding thats a SW Startravel 80 there £90, plus a CCD to put in it, around £200, i assume you have a Laptop and camera, or a PC and a long USB Cable or 2, then to get rid of some more of your budget, some mid range EP's say 4 at around £120 pounds each 30mm,24mm,14mm 8mm, depending on the chosen scope a dew shield, power supply coma corrector that's another £200 ,so thats leave about £1000 to blow on bits i have not thought of.

Edit,,,,Telrad, some decent Bins to scan the stars when you taking 30 X 2 minute subs.

You want to take images DSO's "Deep Sky Objects",

Sorry, I was half asleep when I read the last post :-)

so a good mount would be a NEQ6 around £950,
Found this one, quite impressive
i use a SW 250 P DS that's a 10" Reflector £400,
Found this on the same site, I assume it screws onto it extending it as 'NEQ6' is just the motor.
there are Refractors that do the job but i don't have one or have used one so somebody else will need to give that info.
Reflector/Refractor?
You will need Autoguiding thats a SW Startravel 80 there £90,
What you recommend 'NEQ6' is a 'Go-To' which Stellarium is capable of controlling. Why the 2 different scopes? Wont 1 be enough?
plus a CCD to put in it, around £200,
In the NEQ6 or the Startravel or don't matter?

I did a search last night and found some here, they’re cheaper but will that mean a sacrifice of quality somewhere?

i assume you have a Laptop and camera, or a PC and a long USB Cable or 2,
Yes, got a laptop (running Ubuntu) but no camera (that's in the budget too), got some USB extensions we could put together and possibly get more if needed. Or could take pictures on the PC via the CCD.
then to get rid of some more of your budget, some mid range EP's say 4 at around £120 pounds each 30mm,24mm,14mm 8mm,
I've often wondered 'why different eyepieces', to help with magnification I guess
depending on the chosen scope a dew shield, power supply coma corrector that's another £200 ,so thats leave about £1000 to blow on bits i have not thought of.

Edit,,,,Telrad, some decent Bins to scan the stars when you taking 30 X 2 minute subs.

And I was told earlier that £3k was way too much to stick as a budget for astronomy, I knew how expensive it would be...

Thanks for all the help/info it's been a helpful insight/eye-opener for me as to what I would need.

It wont be until the back end of this year before we get one so I have got plenty of time to do more research as to what I need and the cost.

I'm looking forward to taking some good DSO images.

Pete

Archived