Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1396 with issues

mark7331

Hi all,

I decided to spend most of my time this year working on learning to use my rig and equipment properly. I've dedicated lots of nights to guiding, playing with balance, drift alignment etc. In May and June I had a couple of good nights when I decided to try and apply what I'd learnt on IC1396.

I've used Ha(7nm) and RGB for this image and applied a deconvolution filter with a few stretches. The post processing is another thing to learn and I have to admit it's fun too.

Ha. 160mins.

R,G,B 40mins each.

30 Darks (from library), 30 flats each filter.

I noticed my focus was out on the RG&B and realise I need more care here plus I now know that my collimation was way out. I also still have issues with guiding, flexure and more but I'm having fun tackling and isolating each issue. :D

Anyway. Here it is. All comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Mark

post-20393-133877633046_thumb.jpg

I love the resolution and general quality of that one. The star inside the ionization front is really tiny and tight.

But I'm mystified by the colour. How did you combine the Ha? Usually the nebulosity comes out a deep or a light red. My widefield came out like this, with Ha in red and lightly in luminance...

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Photography/Widefield-images-including/IC-1396-HARGB-2-3X1-HRS/936701075_jhrMy-X3.jpg

And Tom's, I think just with Ha in the red, is darker...

Elephant Trunk HaRGB 8 by 6 Astro 300dpi | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I used Ha partly as Lum because, in the whole view, it can look a bit flat.

Olly

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Olly, I've just used the Ha for luminance through the LRGB Combination tool PixInsight. I wonder should I have combined the red and Ha as the red channel first and then use the Ha on its own as luminance? I'll have a reprocess with your and Toms images in mind :D

Thanks again guys. :D

Nice and sharp this one is, good contrast too.

What e-/ADU setting do you use with the convolution? Ive tried it before and it just makes a mess of things :p

I've not used it successfully before but then I found a tutorial on the PixInsight website. The key difference for me was to use a starmask on the target image before running the deconvolution. Then the stars don't get mashed up. I used the standard settings without modification. Here's the link to the tutorial. Step 7 Deconvolution:-

PixInsight Deconvolution and HDRWaveletTransform: NGC 5189 from Gemini Observatory South

:)

I wasn't criticizing the colour, I must stress, just wondering how it came to be!

I haven't done any colour yet in PI. I add Ha to red in Ps in blend mode lighten between 50 and 100 percent. Then I may add up to 15% as a luminosity layer.

I don't make any caims for the method, I'm just describing it.

Olly

Thanks everyone. I found it a little confusing combining the colour and I've tried lots of ways but I like the way this one turned out. :)

I'm grateful for the input Olly, shaunster and I'll try the combination method you described in PS. I've wondered how to get the Ha and red together effectively so thanks! :)

Mark

Archived