Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear Skies!

Stephen

Oh what a night (to quote a song) :D

After weeks of truly lousy weather, it finally looks like tonight is going to be clear and transparent till 4am (for me at least!)

Tonights list :

• Test out new PanaView 32mm
  • Test out new Castell UHC & OIII filters
  • Test out S/H QHY5 and EQAlign
  • See how long exposures I can get with modded Fuji (somewhere in the veil region I expect.)

Anyone else lucky enough to have a clear forecast? What's on your agendas for tonight?

Yup supposed to be clear here to! Wish I had clear line of sight to the south as I'd be trying to capture M16.

Though I may acquire some more subs for my western veil or try to gather some more Ha for the pacman (Got a skywatcher field flattener to run more tests on.) I just hope it does stay clear!

Matt

Hi Kheldar,

I know this is quite alot to ask, but could you do a small review/overview on the Castell UHC/OIII filters, as I am looking to get one/both. Also, if you find yourself extremely bored (only do this if you have nothing else to do), could you try them both in your Startravel 80, as this would give me an idea of what they're like in my Startravel 120.

I don't expect you to get your ST80 out just for this, but if you found you had nothing else to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and have fun under some clear skies!

Hi Kheldar,

I know this is quite alot to ask, but could you do a small review/overview on the Castell UHC/OIII filters, as I am looking to get one/both. Also, if you find yourself extremely bored (only do this if you have nothing else to do), could you try them both in your Startravel 80, as this would give me an idea of what they're like in my Startravel 120.

I don't expect you to get your ST80 out just for this, but if you found you had nothing else to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and have fun under some clear skies!

I'm not sure I'm qualified enough to give a review, but I can certainly leave some observations :D

Can't try them in my ST80 though as I haven't upgraded the focuser and both filters are 2". (Incidentally the last 2" UHC that Zoltan managed to find lurking in the back of a room somewhere - there are serious production issues with them at the moment :p )

Hi,

A summary of your observations would be fantastic.

Forgot that ST80s don't accept 2" accessories (with standard focuser), silly me :D

It looks as if I may be having some clear skies tonight aswell!

Clear Skies!

Wonderfully clear here in Lincoln, and apparently I can expect low CWF, and good transparency.

Set up, and despite not so optimal positioning and a lack of focal reducer, going to try some shots of Andromeda, and experiment with lower ISO settings - I normally shoot at ISO 3200, going to aim for 1600 / 800.

This is also the first run of my new laptop, got myself an i7 2630QM @ 2GHz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 6490M - so might actually start stacking in the field.

post-22545-133877631683_thumb.jpg

Nice and clear here in south wales to, scopes all set up and looking to try my new OIII filter and webcam the moon, never used cam yet so starting on something easy but not a clue what i'm doing with it lol.

Has anybody looked at the moon already? just came in from taking a peek, can't believe how good it looks in this light it's really good!

I seriously am hoping so hard for just a little bit of clarity from this cloud. Its been what seems like an eternity since I had a session! All the best for this evening guys.

This is also the first run of my new laptop, got myself an i7 2630QM @ 2GHz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 6490M - so might actually start stacking in the field.

Hey CKeme would you mind telling how much you paid for the laptop and where from? I have been considering one myself.

I seriously am hoping so hard for just a little bit of clarity from this cloud. Its been what seems like an eternity since I had a session! All the best for this evening guys.

Hey CKeme would you mind telling how much you paid for the laptop and where from? I have been considering one myself.

Paid £799 for it from Comet, additionally it comes with a 500GB HDD, so enough to store my pictures on for field processing.

The spec is a bit extreme, but perfect for DSS, PS etc.

The Moon looks glorious, was just pointing out a few features to my neighbours kids, hope everyone has a good night - the temp here is dropping quite sharply, so hopefully will cool off the camera sensor to.

Haha, just had my first impromptu star party with the neighbours!

Was out doing final checks and they came over to see what I was up to. Que a 10 minute tour of the moon at 60 and 125x to be greeted with oohs and aahs!

Good start, bring on the stars!

My neighbours are pretty used to the groans and moans of be lugging the behemoth out and the oddity of seeing something that looks designed to shoot aliens out of the sky.

Currently aligning on Sabik, first 10 minute drift check underway, and a large mug of coffee on standby, I susspect I am going to stay up all night to catch Jupiter at dawn.

Just had my "love in" with Saturn, even though she's quite low in the sky, she was still bright and clear tonight (even in my small 130p). Beautiful sight, as always.

Hi,

A summary of your observations would be fantastic.

Forgot that ST80s don't accept 2" accessories (with standard focuser), silly me :D

It looks as if I may be having some clear skies tonight aswell!

Clear Skies!

Unfortunately I had a pretty lousy night! I'm sure it was user error rather than the filters lol. Will try again at the next available opportunity.

Tonights list :

• Test out new PanaView 32mm
  • Test out new Castell UHC & OIII filters
  • Test out S/H QHY5 and EQAlign
  • See how long exposures I can get with modded Fuji (somewhere in the veil region I expect.)
  • FAIL : Panaview won't come to focus even with 35mm ext. tube
  • FAIL : Probably user error though quite a bit of fluffy high level cloud didn't help. Didn't find a single nebula, but did make the stars go green
  • FAIL : QHY5 won't auto guide a DIY guide port. Need to obtain a GPUSB again
  • FAIL : Fed up, and not much point by the time I got here so just packed in

I also had a poor night, the moon (as always) was good and used a barlow on it for the first time, why i never done this before i dont know it was great.

No use of the OIII filter, was up till 12:30 and was still not proper dark, that and trees in the way, but did get a quick look at saturn before next doors garage hide it.....thought i'l never say this but "roll on the winter nights"

I also had a poor night, the moon (as always) was good and used a barlow on it for the first time, why i never done this before i dont know it was great.

No use of the OIII filter, was up till 12:30 and was still not proper dark, that and trees in the way, but did get a quick look at saturn before next doors garage hide it.....thought i'l never say this but "roll on the winter nights"

Likewise, night started really clear here but by the time it got properley dark by about 11.30pm, we got a lot of high level cloud, I was packed up by 1am...so disappointed, havn't had a good sesh for weeks....roll on winter!!

Archived