Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

One for Andy maybe?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes congrats Rob. The lack of the battery for the metering won't matter in astrophotography- it isn't needed & won't affect the shutter operation - so you won't need to buy a new battery unless you plan to use it for daytime activities.

........And you certainly got a good price!

Go grab it Rob! :) Bargain!

I will be looking for a slr camera too soon just checked my zenit e and it's in awfull condition, the damp has got into the camera and the mirror is YUK! plus other things.

James :)

Yeah could do radioactive camera russian prevous owner died glowing in there sleep etc etc...

Quite fancy a Om1 camera i know there a little on the pricey side but hey it would last me a good few years..

Hi Guys,

Nice one Rob, a bet you can't wait to actually get out there and start using it?

I noticed that James asked about the OM10 over the OM1.

I have an OM10, it's a great little camera but it does rely on the batteries... To open the shutter, to keep the shutter open AND to close the shutter.

So if you doing a long exposure and the batteries fail - the shutter stays open. Which is not good. But apart from that it's a cool camera.

Ant

I think the pull on getting an SLR for astro is, theres no muckin around with laptops & stacking!!

Its just for fun!... hope to get the odd 'Great' wide field shot!... looking forward to Milky way wide field.

:-)

Camera arrived yesterday. Brill!!... looks really clean and all seems to work ok.

Any idea on th film speed to buy?. Just need to work out how to use it now!!!

Does the asa / bin setting thing set its self once the film has been loaded?.

Rob

Congrats on the Camera Rob i cant answer what you asked i wil leave that to the other's like you i dont know that much about the working/settings of Slr's....

I have orded a Om1 from jessope's this morning there getting me one in sometime next week if i like it i will buy it! :)

James

If your using it for long exposures (i.e. not using the light meter) then I doubt you have to worry about anything except winding the film on, setting the F Stop and focusing...

Good luck, hopefully get to use it over the weekend.

I would suggest that maybe a Provia 400 would be a good place to start. Big D will fill you on the specifics on what film to get.

Ant

I generally shoot ASA 400 film. Provia is no longer available in the US, so I'm stuck with Fujichrome.

You do need to set the ASA knob manually, but mostly if you use the camera for non-astrophotography and want to believe the built-in meter settings. I set it regardless, cause you never know when the aliens will land and that's the only camera you have handy. :shock:

I am picking up a Om1 camera tommorow from someone down the road from me comes with sigma len's aswell as the orignal len's camera bag , filters, lot's of film and flash for hot shoe plus other bit's meter....

Fuji Provia 400 and Kodak Elitechrome 200 are the best films for astrophotography. However, as Astroman says, Provia seems to have been discontinued.

Get the Elitechrome Rob. You'll find it at the likes of Jessops or Boots. You can have it pushed to an effective speed of 400 ASA at places like The Darkroom (see http://www.the-darkroom.co.uk/). The likes of Boots & Jessops can develop your film & put it on a CD for you to manipulate on your own PC.

E200 is a great film. It is VERY red sensitive (great for emission nebulae), has very fine grain & very low reciprocity characteristics - so it keeps on soaking up light long after faster films have 'pegged out'.

The ASA dial will be set manually as has been mentioned. However you only need do it if you are also intending using the camera with its light meter for daytime shots. For astrophotography using the 'B' setting, it doesn't really matter where the dial is!

Archived