Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

One for Andy maybe?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Andy and for the link above i will go and get some tommorow morning.

I paid a good price Andy 62gbp :) comes with Sigma zoom lens 80-200mm dont know if there any good? also a light meter and manuals..

James

Sigma is a well known & established brand. You've certainly got a very good price for an OM1. My Pentax K1000 cost far more & doesn't have all the features for astrophotography that an OM1 has. :)

Zoom lenses are generally regarded as not being all that suited for astrophotography. However I've used my 75mm-300mm to pretty good effect in the past.

Here's an example on E200 film (sorry, rather over-compressed & 'pixelly').

butterfly.jpg

You may not have a OM1 andy but that's one hell of an image you have got there!.. The film looks the dog's dangley's, do you scan your pictures or get them on CD when processing the images at the shop?

Thanks

James

Ask away James. Glad my somewhat dated knowledge still has some use! :)

Cable releases come with a universal thread - so one cable release will fit ALL makes of SLR.

That's an interesting film. It has a similar name to my Elitechrome (Elite colour). However it is definitely NOT the same film.

The film in your link is a colour negative emulsion from which you would normally get prints (though, of course, it can be scanned on to CD). My film is a colour transparancy film, used for obtaining slides.

TBH I've never actually tried the Elite colour film in your link. It could well turn out to be just as good, if not better, for astrophotography than my film. However, I've not seen any reviews of it to give an informed opinion.

I think it must be a newish emulsion.

Could be one to keep in mind if they ever get rid of the other make then andy eh:)..

What iso setting would you suggest for deep sky imaging in a light polluted observing site? if i had to guess like digital 400 iso well at least thats what i use with digital camera's prob a big differance in iso settings though as digital camera's have none true iso settings as a rule as i understand anyway?.....

Thanks for all this great info andy! :thumbleft:

James :)

The ISO dial will be set manually as has been mentioned. However you only need do it if you are also intending using the camera with its light meter for daytime shots. For astrophotography using the 'B' setting, it doesn't really matter where the dial is - i.e. what ISO setting you have the camera on.

Picked up the camera today all look's in MINT condition got a couple of film rolls throw in too it's fujifilm superia x-tra iso 400 dont know if it's any good look's it? I intend taking the camera tommorow for the local airshow.

Got the manuals for each item,camera,flash,seperate light meter etc so i am in for some reading up this weekend at some point..

James

The Superia-X isn't much cop for recording nebulosity James, though it should be OK for recording star fields of the milky way etc.

I'd be tempted to use it more for day time shots where its performance should be fine.

Thats what i knida thought Andy, prob use them up taking pics of the airshow if i have some left then have a go at simple star trail's(not got the cable realease yet thats gonna be tommorow now)..

James

Help,

Film loading problems!!!... the first film was not winding on, the second got jammed so I opened the back... now all seems fine. Lost 10 shots though.

Help... is there a nack to this!!!

The wind on part has 2 small bars and I think I'm loading correctly... the manual is very old mostly printed in German. The inside does offer a green mark to pull the film up to!. It also has a tooth wheel to engage.... I thought all was well!!

Ho hum.... 24 pictures out in the garden last night, and the blikin film is not winding on!!!!.

They would have been nice shots as well!!

The take up spool looks different to all the manual cameras I've owned Rob. I usually make sure that the film has wrapped itself round the spool a few times before closing the camera back. This may waste a couple of shots at the start of the film but usually ensures that the film then transports itself properly.

My Canon FTb doesn't allow you to wrap the film, I believe the OM1 doesn't either. It's a matter of practice-place the film where the camera wants it and pay close attention to the rewind knob the first couple of shots to make sure the film is advancing.

Ok.. the camera will not allow me to start wrapping the film. I can however turn the spindle, thus bring one of those metal uprights over the film (sort of guiding the film to wrap!

I guess all sould be ok once you [removed word] the camera and you see film holder spindle turn (the one on the left as you face the back of the camera)

Ohh blimey....

I guess all sould be ok once you [removed word] the camera and you see film holder spindle turn (the one on the left as you face the back of the camera).

Indeed Rob. S'long as that spindle is turning, your film is being transported. Sounds like a more fiddly set up than I'm used to. Keep persevering & I'm sure it'll come good in the end. :)

it's a T Ring to M42 thread I think - then it screws directly into the focuser... which althiugh fiddly to sdcrew it in in the dark hold the camera much better on the focuser (more lined up).

Ant

Archived