NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eclipse like you have never seen before

Jamie

STEREO ECLIPSE:

No human has ever witnessed a solar eclipse quite like this. NASA's STEREO-B spacecraft was about a million miles from Earth last month when it photographed the Moon passing in front of the sun:

http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/img/stereoimages/movies/transit_label_large.mov

Talk about alien! The spacecraft recorded a fantastically-colored star wrapped around an oddly-small lunar disk. "It's like we're in the wrong solar system," says Lika Guhathakurta, STEREO Project Scientist at NASA Headquarters. Yet it really is our own sun and Moon.

Courtesy of Spaceweather.com

Makes you realise just how lucky we are to have sun and moon roughly the same apparent size as viewed from Earth. :mrgreen:

If only the moon's orbit didn't wobble... would sure love to have a solar and lunar eclipse every month !

Matt

Fantastic! I saw this just after the eclipse and it still gets my heart pumping. As a solar scientist, I'm about as excited as I can be about this mission. Three dimensional images of the Sun and its features!

Of course you know this is a composite image of ultraviolet wavelengths, much like SOHO only higher resolution and slightly different wavelengths. It's going to be fantastic!

Did you check the delivery costs on that ?

Arian 5 Express delivery - €300 Million

Via the next NASA shuttle mission - $16 Million

Via Russion Soyuz - £2 Million (damage to goods possible!)

Pickup - Free (if you can do it!)

No returns policy, ebay does not accept responsibility for loss or damge undertaken during re-entry

:)

Archived