Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I am all for encouraging people with DSLRs to try simple imaging, here is a basic 17mm lens 50 x 25 second exposures, yes 25 secs only on a simple camera tripod, stacked Deepskystacker processed PS. Cropped by 50%

You will need dark skies however.

Robin

post-12956-13387762862_thumb.jpg

Really nice picture, inspiring to go out and give it a go.

It's that last bit that's a worry though. "You will need dark skies however"... Still, very nice.

Did you take any darks as well?

A very nice shot, great patches of red nebulosity :)

I am going to try something similar. Will the 18mm be okay on my kit lens? Do I just take many exposures of the same place?

Thanks

Oh and whats the blurring on the edges? I am just curious, great shot

Hi ADZ

Many as you can at 25 secs or you could stretch it to 40 secs if you do not mind slightly elongated stars, which would be acceptable on a wide angle shot.

Pibbles - I know the feeling about dark skies living in Brighton. The sky in Beer was not as clear as it can be but sufficiently dark enough for this shot

Very nice image, got to get me a DSLR camera, just seen the milkyway for the first time over a beach in Turkey on holiday and had a go with a point and shoot camera i was suprissed at the results that i got.

regards

Ben

Nice one Robin. I did one of these a few years ago, and used about 40x30 seconds, I lost the edges and corners to field rotation, so it depends how much of that you're prepared to lose to get a result as to how many subs is best.

Looks loads better, with lots of clear stars as dots but much less red nebulosity

Did you take any darks, flats, lights etc. Would they make a difference on this kind of photography or is it just for DSO stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome images! I'm slowly getting into Astrophotography myself. I'm getting the Canon 350D for Christmas and my telescope after that, so I'm wanting to get as much advise and tips as possible!

When you say 50 x 25 sec exposures, is that 50 images at 25 seconds? Also what do you mean by subs? i.e 40 from 70 subs?

Thanks

Andrewsean1985

No setting just set speed at Bulb so it can be controlled by a remote control cable. Focus on a distant street lamp for infinity or a bright star such as vega and take 25 sec exposures. Process with Deepskystacker or like.

Robin

Can I photograph the Milky Way with a compact camera? It can do exposures up to 60s in manual mode and I have done good constellation photography with it beside DSS. It's the nebulosity which I'm not as sure about though... no dark skies here to test it :BangHead:

I love Milky Way shots from dark sites...no matter what else I am imaging, I always try to leave time to capture some MW with interesting foreground, especially if it indicates the location I was shooting from.... Very nice work Robin!

Archived