Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Embarassing question

OK,

I've been a SGL member for about a month now, and I thought that all I had to do was wait and the answer to this question would come up by itself and I would'nt have to swallow my pride and ask.

But here I am, so obviously I did not get the answer. It's something really trivial, but not knowing is just driving me nuts. I've googled it many times, and either I'm daft, or I missed it. (And I just know it's going to turn out to be something obvious that everyone knows).

So here it goes.

When people talk about the SkyWatcher 130p (say)...

Can you tell me what the "p" stands for?

I think it must be a European thing, because I have a SW 130mm Heritage Dob, and I've seen the 130mm newt for sale, but no "p" anywhere (as far as I can see) on our side of the pond.

Thanks for not laughing (too hard!).

Cheers.

Well there ya go ya see.....there's no such thing as a daft question......I learned something today that I didn't know I didn't know. :)

At least you knew that you didn't know - I didn't, (so I learned 2 things actually - one is the answer and the other is the question I didn't know I had not asked):)

Ok.......I'm off now.....:(

Thanks everyone!

I knew it would turn out to be a simple thing.

Sorry bombassa, but SkyWatcher does'nt seem to market their products the same way in North America. Yes my SW 130mm Dob is parabolic, but you never see the small-case "p" anywhere over here (which is why I was asking).

Actually, this brings up another question:

Do Europeans qualify all reflectors as "p" or just SkyWatcher products?

Corollary:

If it's only SW products, should'nt the SW refractors have an "r" in their designation?

Thanks.

It's of small importance in the end, but it's always nice to know.

It was a marketing thing, traditionally small reflectors at the budget end of the market used spherical mirrors which are cheaper and easier to make. (some still do) It was a good selling point and emphasised their better quality and value for money.

It was a marketing thing, traditionally small reflectors at the budget end of the market used spherical mirrors which are cheaper and easier to make. (some still do) It was a good selling point and emphasised their better quality and value for money.

A-ha!

That explains everything nicely. Thanks rowan46!

At one point I was going to ask if there was such a thing as a reflector with a spherical mirror (for the distinction to be made), and then I thought, "that can't be, it would'nt work"

Shows how much I know, and that I should'nt rely on my assumptions!

Well there ya go ya see.....there's no such thing as a daft question......I learned something today that I didn't know I didn't know. :)

At least you knew that you didn't know - I didn't, (so I learned 2 things actually - one is the answer and the other is the question I didn't know I had not asked):)

Ok.......I'm off now.....:)

lol :(

Archived